When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered Trustys $78 beginner sub

clockguy

i remembered.. but didnt really go that great :o didnt last that long :p

I was wondering about those "beginner" reps for under 100$.

One the one hand, you get a watch, that you don't really have to baby around and not care for scratches or anything, just because it was so cheap.

But my other thought was, that these watches got to have poor quality control, movement and not that accurate cases and details - considering the low price.

And while we have all the things above in mind: Is that really a good beginning for someone, who wants to enter the rep-world?

In 7 of 10 cases, the purchaser will be disappointed about the final product. Watchparts will fall apart and so on.

I've never owned one of these beginner watches, so my writing is not based on experience. I was just wondering, if these beginner reps are really a good idea.

But maybe I'm wrong - maybe the quality is not that bad at all.

I haven't read many reviews about cheap reps - maybe my doubts are already refuted by a number of reviewers, but I would think, that maybe this beginner rep-strategy is counterproductive.

What do you think?

I have read that these Sub78's first popped up as Xmas specials on Andrew's site, so is that long enough for a comparison with the tried-and-true "noobmariner" or even a solo review? I have also heard that these are the same exact watches as the $108 noobmariners except with an updated (bolder) date font.

Thanks.

Andrew's XMas Rollie/SUB specials (The ones from last Dec. 07) were a dud, as far as I'm concerned! I oredered a Black and a YM and both of them are inaccurate (+5-8 mins/day) and hard to regulate that I gave up! Now, Joshua's current cheap models are a diff. story! I got one of his $110 Black Subs last Sun (which he shipped last Wed, 4/9) and its been on the dot since! Much better quality on the outside, too!

Hate to keep on saying this BUT.........Josh, Andrew are both great to deal with but there is a level of QC that is missing as compared with TTK. The odds of getting a lemon are greater dealing with Josh and Andrew as compared with TTK.

The other thing to consider is that you are buying an asian movement which even if all the QC work is done can prove to be problematic.

However to take everything to a very high level I would very strongly suggest that you buy from BK. For 360 bucks you get the WORKS and a reliable timepiece that will last you potentially for many decades. Its the same watch as above but BK adds not only a full QC but he will modify the watch to make it as close to gen as possible....reshaped CG, great pearl/recessed insert, gen like crown and tube, o rings greased to improve waterproofness. Add to this that you get a swiss ETA movement that can be serviced by any watchmaker (that would agree to service a rep that is). What you will have in the end is the closest thing you can buy as compared with a gen without any worries about the typical issues of the pearl/insert popping off, bad pearl, oversized CK, oversized crown etc that you will find with the basic NOOBS etc. I have bought 7 subs over the last 3 years and I would have stopped at TWO if I had been able to buy a BK mariner in the beginning (black and LV). Its more costly but in the end much more of a reliable timepiece and a higher level of satisfaction. AND nobody is going to call you out for wearing a rep Rolex...its that close to the real thing.

Hate to keep on saying this BUT.........Josh, Andrew are both great to deal with but there is a level of QC that is missing as compared with TTK. The odds of getting a lemon are greater dealing with Josh and Andrew as compared with TTK.

The other thing to consider is that you are buying an asian movement which even if all the QC work is done can prove to be problematic.

However to take everything to a very high level I would very strongly suggest that you buy from BK. For 360 bucks you get the WORKS and a reliable timepiece that will last you potentially for many decades. Its the same watch as above but BK adds not only a full QC but he will modify the watch to make it as close to gen as possible....reshaped CG, great pearl/recessed insert, gen like crown and tube, o rings greased to improve waterproofness. Add to this that you get a swiss ETA movement that can be serviced by any watchmaker (that would agree to service a rep that is). What you will have in the end is the closest thing you can buy as compared with a gen without any worries about the typical issues of the pearl/insert popping off, bad pearl, oversized CK, oversized crown etc that you will find with the basic NOOBS etc. I have bought 7 subs over the last 3 years and I would have stopped at TWO if I had been able to buy a BK mariner in the beginning (black and LV). Its more costly but in the end much more of a reliable timepiece and a higher level of satisfaction. AND nobody is going to call you out for wearing a rep Rolex...its that close to the real thing.

TTK is gone! Who's BK?

I got one Sub78 with a bad movement and misaligned xtal from Andrew, he replaced it free of charge with another that was much better.

The difference between these $78 specials and the "Newbies Buy" $98 (new) noobmariners is that the $98 noobs have a slightly thinner crown and the correct date-mag. The case/bracelet on my $78 is pretty good, and even the pearl is not that bad.

My only real gripe is that it has literally ZERO rehaut, the insert actually rises above the coin-edge of the bezel.