When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on DSN

mike1975

The dial font is slightly off, but I guess that would be the trademark of all DSNs.

You also should take note that the 7750 is not a true GMT movement. Thus, you get a slightly sunken datewheel.

At least it has a pretty good DW, though.

It is a good start if we've always wanted DSN to build a Contemporary PAM.

Both the minute hand and GMT hand are still wrong. The cyclops seems to be the old version. Too bad since the new PAM164, 104 and 229 have a greatly improved one.....

Note that the 7750GMT movement - although not as bad as the sec @6 - can be risky. Unfortunately the added GMT gears are not that good designed. I know from my own experience. 2 broke down within a few months, 1 is still happily alive....

thanks at all. so we have to wait for a real good one so !

If accuracy is the criterium, yes.

But in their own right they still are very nice watches. I own both. Unfortunately, the movement of the 089 died, so now I'm waiting to see if the 088 movement will last longer. If so I'm going to buy a Lello DW and a new PAM104/229 case, which has AR and the better cyclops.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone interested that I got assuration by Davidsen that he is going to fix both the minute and GMT hand issues.

Also that the 089 caseback that he used in his photobook was just for early display purpose, it is not the same that he is going to mount on his watches for sale that will be very accurate.

According to this all, we should have almost perfect 088 & 089 soon... :)

Just to let anyone interested that I got assuration by Davidsen that he is going to fix both the minute and GMT hand issues.

Also that the 089 caseback that he used in his photobook was just for early display purpose, it is not the same that he is going to mount on his watches for sale that will be very accurate.

That would be fantastic!!! The biggest tell on the GMTs are the hands....

In that case, I hope they also make the 228!!!

post-53-1207875716_thumb.jpg

In that case, I hope they also make the 228!!!

Yes, the dial of a DSN 228 should come out very good, J.!

Unfortunately, as you know, the caseback of the 228 is very different from the 088's and 089's... :(

Yes, the dial of a DSN 228 should come out very good, J.!

Unfortunately, as you know, the caseback of the 228 is very different from the 088's and 089's... :(

As long as he gets the hands and dial right, I will probably just choose the caseback that has the most detailed engraving, even iff the BB and OP #'s are wrong...nobody outside of Rome has those memorized anyway! :lol:;)

nobody outside of Rome has those memorized anyway! :lol:;)

Just wait for my Alzheimer moving a little more forward, and you won't have to worry about it either. :lol:

Out of joke, your way is no doubt the best and only way to get a correct 228 rep now.

It just exceeds my currently allocated budget for a rep... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this topic for a while, fingers crossed.

But I took a quick look at the updated 088 pics and, it seems to me the seconds hand is too thin and short, and the minute hand a tad too short. It also looks like the numbers aren't close enough to the outer edge of the dial (but this is a common complaint across other models).

Maybe it's a camera angle issue - anyone else?

Really dissapointed his 089 is the fantasy blue dial. I would have had no problem with these small nits in exchange for a solid, anthracite dial!

Edited by drop

it seems to me the seconds hand is too thin and short, and the minute hand a tad too short. It also looks like the numbers aren't close enough to the outer edge of the dial

Inaccuracies in the seconds and minute hands are at the level of needing a loupe or a magnified pic to detect them, i.e. beyond the expected limit for rep accuracy, IMHO.

Rather, I would say that the less correct hand is the hour hand (size of the lumed part).

You are right about the distance of the numbers and markers from the outer edge of the dial. Still, a pretty small difference though. Barely detectable at naked eye.

Considering the overall quality of this dial, I would not be so disappointed at it. Personally I feel that if every similar complex Pam dials were repped at this level, we rep lovers might consider ourselves lucky... :)

Considering the overall quality of this dial, I would not be so disappointed at it.

Is it just me or is the font slightly thinner than on the gen? Especially the GMT numerals look a bit different.

Besides that, with the new adjusted the hands I'm actually quiet happy with this release :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

Is it just me or is the font slightly thinner than on the gen? Especially the GMT numerals look a bit different.

Uhm... I would not say so. Often in gen pics the small white numerals look bolder than what they actually are, because of poor white balance and/or focus and/or unequal contrast in different parts of the picture.

Here is a large compare pic, where the gen is not from a photo shot, but from a scan from the official OP catalogue.

Here you can see how lighting plays tricks, as DSN font looks thin in the most lightened parts of the dial, but perfect in the darkest parts (look at the pic in its full size, don't leave it reduced).

Actually, also considering DSN's shots in his gallery, I feel it likely that DSN's GMT numerals are as good as possible... :g:

089genvsdsnbt8.jpg

Would you say that the font on the 088 is just as accurate as on the 089?

Yes.

Even more, I personally find the DSN 088 dial even better than the 089 (same excellent overall quality and crispness, but no blue-vs-anthracite issue, and a better small seconds subdial size).

Even more, I think that DSN 088 is possibly the best PAM rep currently around.

Shame on me because the panda style is not my cup of tea, else I would have already jumped on it.

Here is another pic for you to compare, this time DSN 089 vs DSN 088:

dsn089088bz1.jpg

I still have the most basic question. Is the color on the 89 dial accurate to the gen. Has anyone held the two together?

Yes kruzer, that is the $1million question.

I hope that someone will be able to enlighten us one day.

Thnx! I think you just pushed me in the direction of my first Davidsen :lol: .

Great!

Just don't miss to tell DSN about my advice and remind him to send me my 5% :lol:

• 4 months later...

Thinking of picking up one of these from a member w/ a broken camera... :rolleyes: Anyone have a pic of the production caseback--can't find one on DSN's site.