When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

pretty impressive AR coat on the bentley GT Racing

db1

Wish i could post pics (tried to take pics of the watch, to find out my 8mp digicam is a POS for closeups :\ )

finally had time today to deeply look on my Bentley GT racing crystal in many angels.

the "Special Edition" GT is described as having light AR , that in fact no AR at all exists on it's crystal.

but the GT Racing edition- DOES HAVE some light AR coating, which is, in my own opinion- not so light! as good as a nice single sided AR

looked at my crystal in many angels today, some in direct sunlight, and room gight, and normal lighting.

i am pretty impressed! for a "light" AR, it's pretty damn good! in about %70 of the angels i look at the crystal- it's almost invisible, even in about %60 of the times in sunlight!

i have heard, before purchasing the GT Racing, that the light AR is a big joke- but as much as i can see on my rep, it's as good as a single coated AR, really good for an out-the-box Bentley GT ! especialy when it is known that the "polished" GT come with no AR at all

or maybe i am just lucky?

is it possible that on each rep the "light" AR comes out different ? better or worse wise

No I think the Special Edition does have a coating on it... I agree that it's worthless and invisible, but if you don't strip it prior recoating then the results are bad.

The AR in the Racing Edition doesn't really impress me, personally. I think the SOSF AR is better and is still the best rep AR I've seen.

...finally had time today to deeply look on my Bentley GT racing crystal in many angels.

the "Special Edition" GT is described as having light AR , that in fact no AR at all exists on it's crystal.

but the GT Racing edition- DOES HAVE some light AR coating, which is, in my own opinion- not so light! as good as a nice single sided AR

looked at my crystal in many angels today, some in direct sunlight, and room gight, and normal lighting...

what color is the dial on your GT?

If it is white, it is less prone to caputre reflections than darker dial combos.

If it is darker, then the light AR may only be effective in extreme sunlight.

cheif: of course it will not impress you, but don't try to compare it to your double AR :) cause it will lose any day! lol

i meant- for a rep with some hype "light AR", my rep turned to have a pretty effective LIGHT AR.. good enough that i compared it to a single sided AR crystal in sunlight, and haven't seen too much of a difference

anton: i have the black face GT,

you are right! on direct sunlight it works better! somhow also in less brighter lighting i can see a pretty good effect for a thin, "light" AR coating.. honestly, i thought it will be so crappy that it will not even be seen or have any effect

I hear ya,my white dial 6.75 had 'light ar' and that usually means none,but i couldn't see the crystal under most angles on that watch,my rep BCE had double and the blue was to strong on certain angles....

My gen SA is in a class by itself on this issue though,if Chieftangs AR is like that,i understand his argument about rep AR..... :o

cheif: of course it will not impress you, but don't try to compare it to your double AR :) cause it will lose any day! lol

i meant- for a rep with some hype "light AR", my rep turned to have a pretty effective LIGHT AR.. good enough that i compared it to a single sided AR crystal in sunlight, and haven't seen too much of a difference

And it's actually better that it's light AR. The new trend in rep AR seems to be a strong blue tint like what they're starting to put on new 3717s and Ingys, which is even more unrealistic than your light AR! Dave123 is right about the blue being too strong!!

Dave123: wow, a gen SA def. has a class of it self .. wear it well my friend !!

lol, maybe rep factories thought that as more bluish is better

i believe some people (newbies wise) only look for the blue tint to "verify" they have got AR, and forget that the main purpose of AR coating is not to tint blue like a camera flash- but more to make the crystal anti reflective and as much "invisible" as possible :)