When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double AR coat on a PAM

sssurfer

Curious about the look of Chieftang's double AR coating on a domed (Fiddy-like) crystal?

Did you ever wonder what double AR is worth on a PAM, but you never had the courage to ask, in consideration of the gens being single-side AR coated?

Here are a few pics to you. :D

Curious about the look of Chieftang's double AR coating on a domed (Fiddy-like) crystal?

Did you ever wonder what double AR is worth on a PAM, but you never had the courage to ask, in consideration of the gens being single-side AR coated?

Here are a few pics to you. :D

I think the double AR looks fantastic on the PAM crystals. I have a Pam crystal in the AR run currently.

Well Surfer, on one hand, I think there is quite an improvement on the ARed crystal versus the none. It lets a clearer view of the dial without most of the reflections seen on the non.

But in the other hand, it still gives a hue of color to the crystal that bothers me. I can't stand that blue tint on my DSN Fiddy and at a time I considered the AR run, but since there is no colorless AR offered, I have resisted. For me the purity of the watch is on how clearly you can perceive the dial with out any distractions from color or other.

Anyways cheers on that 203!

I see your point, turbo.

As a matter of fact, the "crystal disappearing" effect by double AR coating seems achieved on flat crystals only, not on highly domed crystals like the 127/203/217.

As I told in my post there, I love residual reflections from the dome. But I agree that they would better if they were colorless rather than blueish.

Still, that's it.

The only thing I can add is that in those pics I did my best to evoke reflections. In reality, and on normal wrist wearing, 99.9% of the dial looks perfectly clear through the now reflectionless crystal, and it greadly adds to the overall watch look, IMHO.

Thanks for your opinion!