When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 7750 rotor isn't spinning as free

After 3 months of use, my 7750 rotor just doesn't seem to be spinning as freely as it used to. I first noticed that the movement was losing power after just a few hours, and then I realized that I wasn't really getting the typical "rotor whirrr".

So I probably need to get my movement oiled professionally in the near future. However, would oiling the rotor bearing be simple enough for me to perform? Is the rotor bearing the source of my problems or is it other parts of the movement?

It probably is not the rotor bearings that are the problem. At least, not the main problem. More likely, the entire auto-wind unit needs to be serviced (disassembled, properly cleaned, oiled & reassembled). Most of these movements leave the factory in marginal condition to begin with. It is generally a good idea to have the movement serviced as soon as you receive it.

If you have never serviced a mechanical watch movement before, I would not recommend trying to learn on this 1. Send the watch to Ziggy or a local watchmaker who works on chronographs (many watchmakers do not).