When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

U.S. Based Watch Repair & Service!

dovo1695

The purpose of this thread is to create a list of U.S. based watchmakers with whom we have had positive experiences. There are many members out there who have considerable difficulty finding someone to service their watches. If you are an RWG member who has experience with a U.S. based watchmaker for either repair or service, please help out your fellow members by posting a review of that watchmaker below edit (after confirming with that watchmaker wants his contact info posted!). I know there are many of us who would really appreciate and benefit from it. (If you offer watch repair services, there are other venues for solicitation; the intent of this post is for impartial member reviews[The Zigmeister excluded of course, whose thoughts are always welcome anywhere in this forum]). If you think this thread is worthwhile and you're in a position to "bump" it to give it visibility; please feel free to do so.

I hope that I won't get a lot of backlash for posting this thread because of my noob status; I did quite a bit of searching within the forums (2hrs) and came up with only 1 U.S. based watchmaker. Also, I realize that there is a specific "watch repair" forum where I could have posted this. I gave considerable thought to where to post this and ultimately decided that the general discussion area would be the most useful place to post this thread. My reasoning is that the members who are most able to make positive contributions to this thread are the least likely to see it in the "watch repair" section; after all, they have a great local watchmaker that keeps their watches in fine working order and therefore have no reason to look into the watch repair section in the first place! It's my hope that they will come across this posting and let us know who they use and what they think of the service.

I also intend absolutely no offense or disrespect to The Zigmeister. In my time on this forum I have only heard great things about his services and abilities; he is typically referred to by those who know a hell of a lot more about watches than I do as the "Maestro". In fact it is precisely because he is so good that I am adding this post; his services are so in demand that his backlog is always considerable. As a result, I'm pretty confident that demand for his services will always vastly outstrip his available time; there are simply thousands of us out there getting watches in on a monthly basis.

edit

Here's a template for future posts rating the services of your local watchmaker: (As other members have pointed out; make sure you check with your watchmaker to ensure that it's O.K. that you post his name on this forum. This is a stupid mistake that I made when first posting this thread and other members pointed out my error. I have edited this post to remove the watchmakers contact info until I confirm that he wants to have his name posted here.)

Watchmaker Service: Name of Watchmaking Service

Contact Name: Name of Contact

Phone: Contact phone #

Email: Email if available

Brands serviced: Brands that are service by this watchmaker

Services Performed: A detailed description of Services Performed

Watch Serviced: A detailed description of watch services performed

Date of Service: I included this field just to give an indication of how long the watch went without problems. If the review is posted a day after return, this gives less of an indication than if it's been 2 years since the service was performed.

Turn Around Time: Length of time from time sent out to time received

Satisfaction: Indicate level of satisfaction with services

Price for Service: Obviously there are very few of us that are using price as a primary criteria for selecting a watch repair service, most of us would rather pay more for the best. That said, I think most of us would want to know whether a service is $100 vs $400.

Once again, The Zigmeister is the master and the man, but he can't possibly service every watch the thousands of members of this forum buy each year. And don't kid yourself that sparkling, brand new SFSO with the asian movement can go right on your wrist unserviced without problems down the road. Imagine how great it would be to have a list of 50 or so watchmakers in the U.S. who have been vetted by multiple members, don't turn their noses down at reps, do quality work, and send back the watch in a timely fashion! Let's see how many we can come up with!

Edited by dovo1695

Not a good idea i'm afraid.

I would recommend you take down the information as i'm sure this particular watchmaker does not want to be associated with replicas considering he works on and may be authorized dealers of certain swiss brands. Although your idea is a great one, we don't want to create trouble for these authorized watch places.

We will have to work on gathering a hidden list of some sort.

Guest avitt

Most watchmakers are independent, and are not authorized service centers for any particular brand. So the potential benefits of advertising on replica forums may outweigh any potential penalty.

The right thing to do would be to ask the watchmaker if they want their name publicized on forums oriented towards replicas.

Not a good idea i'm afraid.

I would recommend you take down the information as i'm sure this particular watchmaker does not want to be associated with replicas considering he works on and may be authorized dealers of certain swiss brands. Although your idea is a great one, we don't want to create trouble for these authorized watch places.

You guys are absolutely right; I guess I didn't think this through well enough before I posted. I figured out how to edit my post and I have removed the contact info until I am able to confirm that the watchmaker wants his contact info posted. Thank you guys for pointing out my error; dumb move on my part. I have also added a warning that members should first obtain their watchmakers consent before posting to the forum. Sorry for the trouble...

Edited by dovo1695

Actually there are plenty of old classically trained guys who would love to see something other than another quartz watch with a dead battery.

Anything mechanical would be welcome to them and they exist, we just need to find them.

The Zigmeister is great but just can't meet all of the demand.

I haven't found any of the old independents to be picky at all about working on manual movements, wherever they come from.

Carl