When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken Rolex Daydate crown

newf

Hi, Guys,

Here's a pic showing the stem with the crown fitting just above the stem.

I'm trying to find a replacement.

A couple of dealers have said they've sent one but so far none have shown up.

Bought this watch in October and haven't worn it yet.

The stem and crown attachment are circled in red - you can see the larger crown above it - it's just too large a diameter to fit through the crown tube.

Where can I buy a new replacement?

Thanks,

Newf

CrownandStems2a.jpg

I am not quite sure what that part in the red circle is? It looks almost like a stem extender that has been trimmed shorter or broken off.

Whatever it is, the stem needs to be matched to the movement inside your watch, so you will need to open the case & post a good, clear close-up picture of the area below the balance wheel (the round gear with a tiny 'hairspring' attached to it that revolves back & forth). (If you are unable to open the caseback, I would take the watch to any local watchmaker that works on rep watches & he can easily replace the stem or at least tell you which movement is in your watch.)

There is usually a model number or brand symbol on the base plate that will give an indication of which movement it is. We should be able to give you an idea what it is & where to purchase a replacement stem once we see what movement you have.

The good news is that stems are inexpensive & unless your watch is fitted with a cheap Asian movement, there are a number of watch parts suppliers that can ship them to you within a few days.

I am not quite sure what that part in the red circle is? It looks almost like a stem extender that has been trimmed shorter or broken off.

Whatever it is, the stem needs to be matched to the movement inside your watch, so you will need to open the case & post a good, clear close-up picture of the area below the balance wheel (the round gear with a tiny 'hairspring' attached to it that revolves back & forth). (If you are unable to open the caseback, I would take the watch to any local watchmaker that works on rep watches & he can easily replace the stem or at least tell you which movement is in your watch.)

There is usually a model number or brand symbol on the base plate that will give an indication of which movement it is. We should be able to give you an idea what it is & where to purchase a replacement stem once we see what movement you have.

The good news is that stems are inexpensive & unless your watch is fitted with a cheap Asian movement, there are a number of watch parts suppliers that can ship them to you within a few days.

Hi, Freddy,

Thanks for the fast reply.

The movement is the ETA 2836-2 and the short stem that is shown is the one that was in the watch.

The part in the circle was attached to the stem and sticking out through the tube - barely - I'm supposing this is the threaded part of the crown that fits over the stem.

So what I need is a crown with that type of stem attachment.

Again, thanks,

Newf

The movement is the ETA 2836-2 and the short stem that is shown is the one that was in the watch.

The part in the circle was attached to the stem and sticking out through the tube - barely - I'm supposing this is the threaded part of the crown that fits over the stem.

So what I need is a crown with that type of stem attachment.

Parts for a 2836 are relatively commonplace, but I have never seen that part in the red circle before. Have you tried contacting the seller you got the watch from?

Maybe Ziggy or someone else will recognize it.

Does the crown in the picture fit the case tube? If yes, screw the top stem into it, and insert into the watch and trim the stem until it fits correctly.

If the crown doesn't fit, you need to find one that does, or replace both the tube and crown with a genuine one, then install the top stem onto the works.

RG

Does the crown in the picture fit the case tube? If yes, screw the top stem into it, and insert into the watch and trim the stem until it fits correctly.

If the crown doesn't fit, you need to find one that does, or replace both the tube and crown with a genuine one, then install the top stem onto the works.

RG

Hi, Guys,

The crown doesn't fit - the diameter of the crown going through the tube is too large.

Fortunately, last evening, a friend of mine showed up with a $30.00 Rolex replica with a crown with the correct diameter to fit the crown tube on the case - we cut the stem to fit - took a few tries as we didn't want it too short and all works fine.

Forgot to mike the diameter of the crown and it's length - will reve it tonight and do so - will also measure the other crown and then hopefully order some for replacements.

As far as the stems - I think I only need the watch movement number to order them - assuming that the 2836-2 ETA movement has has a standard replacemant stem.

Thanks for all the help - and the learning experience is priceless.

Newf