When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who does he make the best crystal for pam 44mm ?

DefCoN

No rep AR will look like gen, though. They are all too pronounced/visible. Blue, purple, doesn't matter.

Actually, now that I think of it, DSN has crystals with no AR. Getting one of those and having it AR coated would be your best bet.

FYI, I don't think there has EVER been a PAM offered with double-AR, and I believe AR wasn't used until D series.

No rep AR will look like gen, though. They are all too pronounced/visible. Blue, purple, doesn't matter.

Actually, now that I think of it, DSN has crystals with no AR. Getting one of those and having it AR coated would be your best bet.

FYI, I don't think there has EVER been a PAM offered with double-AR, and I believe AR wasn't used until D series.

You forgot to add in your opinion! Everyone has crystal without AR why do you need to pay DSN premium prices? The ones I talk about are single AR coated and very original like

You forgot to add in your opinion! Everyone has crystal without AR why do you need to pay DSN premium prices? The ones I talk about are single AR coated and very original like

I'm unaware of any other dealers that sell SAPPHIRE crystals with no AR coating. Mineral crystals, sure, but not sapphire. Do you have any pics of the crystals you're talking about? I've bought PAM reps from DSN, Ruby, Joshua, Angus and Silix. ALL of them have had AR coating that is more noticeable than any of my gen PAMs.

Also, DSN charges $80 for a replacement crystal. Is this a premium price? I have no idea, as I've never bought just a crystal from any of the other dealers.

I'm unaware of any other dealers that sell SAPPHIRE crystals with no AR coating. Mineral crystals, sure, but not sapphire. Do you have any pics of the crystals you're talking about? I've bought PAM reps from DSN, Ruby, Joshua, Angus and Silix. ALL of them have had AR coating that is more noticeable than any of my gen PAMs.

Also, DSN charges $80 for a replacement crystal. Is this a premium price? I have no idea, as I've never bought just a crystal from any of the other dealers.

I'm not sure about you but I don't really think that there's much to choose between the various crystals, including the gens. I have 2 gens (F & G series), a couple of frankens with genuine dials plus 4 or 5 reps. This gives me a variety of combinations of gen dial & gen crystal / gen dial & rep crystal / rep dial & rep crystal. IMO the biggest difference in appearance arises from the surface texture of the dial itself because, contrary to widely accepted opinion the genuine 'painted dials' (B to G series'L' dials) are not painted but have a thin black sandwich layer of textured ?plastic? with numeral & marker cutouts. It is this surface texture of the dial which contributes more to the elusive gen appearance than the crystal or AR coating.

If you have any doubt about this please consider DSN's 010 rep dial. It was the most accurate dial that he ever produced, in terms of font and layout etc (thanks in no small part to one of our members) but it was the similarity of surface texture which made this dial and subsequent watches so convincing, because the white dial PAMs are actually painted unlike the black models. Similarly DSN's 201A dial is fairly convincing, in spite of its inaccuracies, due to the fact that the preV and preA dials were also painted so the surface is reasonably true to the gen.

For this reason I don't feel that struggling to match the gen crystal is going to deliver the desired visual effect.

PAMman, I have a gen 002D, so I know exactly what you're talking about and I agree.

I was simply stating that the overly pronounced rep AR is quite noticeable, as the gen AR is VERY subtle and, quite frankly, not very effective.

EDIT -- Not sure where the word "can" came from. :o

Edited by peepshow

PAMman, I have a gen 002D, so I know exactly what you're talking about and I agree.

I was simply stating that the overly pronounced rep AR can is quite noticeable, as the gen AR is VERY subtle and, quite frankly, not very effective.

Very true, my 005G has no discernable AR but I think that it's there nonetheless. However the 116F has an indistinct hue off the AR.

The point that I was trying to get across is simply that, AR coating generally results in a gen-like crispness of the dial e.g. the rep Ingy or 3717 but this can't be achieved with rep black PAMs because the dial surface isn't similar to begin with. On the other hand rep white PAMs have a convincing gen-like appearance without any help from an AR crystal.