When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7753 need help with stem/crown issue

bruce79

I've got a 7753 powered 188 with a small issue and need a little insight.

First please excuse me if my watch vernacular is a bit off, I'll try to explain the situation the best I can... :lol:

Ok, so after first receiving the watch I pull the crown out to adjust the time which was fine...the when pushing the crown back in, I couldn't get the stem to engage with the movement...so the watch wouldn't run...as if it was still in the time setting position. As you know, the crown seems to have a spring which pushes it out when the crown guard lever is released....so there is no need to pull the crown out like for the manual wind pams.

Well when I pushed the crown in against the spring pressure, nothing happened and it just bounced back out and was still in the time setting position...after about 5 minutes of trying, all of a sudden it engaged and started running fine. Didn't really think much of it once it started working.

So, the same thing happened Saturday when I put the watch on again to go out that evening. So I thought it best to remove the case back, crown guard, and to remove the crown/stem and reinsert to see if I could figure out what was going on. Well once those cg & case back were removed, I grasped the crown with my finger tips pulling ever so slightly and went to slowly push the stem release button but to my amazement, the stem just released with very little pulling pressure...and without even pushing the stem release button. The stem reinserts fine to the wind position but when I attempt to pull it out to set the time, it just comes completely out of the movement with relative ease. It's not locked in the movement like with all of my ETA autos.

My question is then, what exactly is going on here? This is my first chrono so perhaps they behave differently from the standard non chrono autos. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Guest porsche356a

Sounds like the Keyless Works is out of whack. I think someone had taken the stem out in the time setting position (not saying it was you, Bruce B)). Rob will enlighten us on how to fix this dilemma. ;)

The first thing I would do is to make sure the stem is not cut too short.

You can do this one of two ways, first you need another stem, perferably a new one that is not cut down. Insert this stem into the movement with it in the case and see if it locks in place. If you don't have a new stem, then the only way to eliminate the stem as being the problem is to remove the movement from the case and insert the existing stem and crown into the movement and see if it locks in place. If it locks in place then you know the stem is too short.

The keyless works on the 7750 is well made and not a problem like the 2836, so the first step is to confirm that the keyless works is working correctly and you can lock the stem in place. To do this you need to eliminate the stem as being the cause of your problem.

RG

Then you have to take the dial and hands off and see what the problem is with the set lever and keyless works. Since this is a 7753 I caution you to not take it apart unless you are very confidant in your skills. The 7753 is much more of a challenge to work on than a 7750, and there are NO Spare parts available...you break something the movement is junk.

I have one 7753 in the shop that Finepics ruined, and I can't fix it due to no spare parts available...

RG

Guest carlsbadrolex
I have one 7753 in the shop that Finepics ruined, and I can't fix it due to no spare parts available...

RG

I guess he should have stuck with taking pictures...

Just trying to bring some levity to this situation!