When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Curious Date Change on ETA Chronograph Evolution

warburg

I have a BCE with an ETA movement. It tells good time, but the date changes at around 4:30 AM rather than at 12:00. I don't know whether it's worth my while to do anything about this since I really don't need to know the date before dawn :lol: Can anyone tell me what causes this and whether it would be difficult to correct? :rolleyes:

In order to correct this, you need to reinstall the hour and minute hands properly. No way of correcting it without decasing the movement/opening the watch. You need hand removal tools, dial protector and hand setter on top of basic tools such as caseback opener, screwdriver, tweezer, etc. If the problem didn't annoy you, it's OK.

I have heard story even a gen Omega SMP has date change at 3 o clock in the morning.

I have a Fortis Flieger and the date changes at 3 am (or 3 pm if you insist) and I really don't mind. As far as I'm concerned tomorrow is the day after I wake up and 'today' is before I go to sleep tonight so 3am suits me fine. If I finish a piece of work late at night on Monday it still gets dated with Monday's date even if it is past midnight.

Don't forget the 7750 movements have a slow day / date change with one changing before the other and whole process takes a few hours, so you cannot adjust it to snap over at midnight anyhow.

Edited by PAMman

The day and date changes mechanism on a real ETA7750 has a difference of only +/- 30 minutes, unlike Asian 7750 hi beat which has a difference of about 2 hours (date advances first then day).

Like stated above, if it doesn't bother you, don't do anything.