When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What makes one leather strap more expensive than the others? (PAM calfskin only)

I have surfed to many source of leather as I saw in http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1640 they're all very good strap (I'm talking about PAM's calf strap, not croco/buffalo/ostrich/etc). Some straps offered above $120, some $60-$90, and some below $40. They're all mentioned "genuine calf leather". I just wonder what makes some straps much more expensive than the others, is it because the leather material itself or its softness or its workmanship or design or what. Price differences can be so widely vary.

Regards,

Peter.

NB: sorry if this topic already been here before, but as long as I search there's none.

I have purchased many straps from BOB, Strap Culture and HKTan. Aside from just the quality of the Calf Leather, the thickness of the strap accounts for cost too. As well as the stitching (stronger, thicker thread is usually better), finish of the strap, and whether or not the strap has a sewn in buckle which usually costs more. I have a Calf Leather strap i bought from Strap Culture and I love it. The leather is really soft and will not crack after bending it. A good quality strap should be resilient to wear and match the watch you are pairing it with. The most important thing is that you like it. HKTan for example, has amongst the best straps in the business. They are pricey but are handmade to spec. I own 6 of them. What I suggest is that you ask members to post some pics of calf leather straps with their reps and ask them how they like the quality and where they got it from. I think that would be most useful.

I will start with my Calf Leather strap with sewn in buckle from Strap Culture paired with the Graham Chronofighter

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

I have surfed to many source of leather as I saw in http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1640 they're all very good strap (I'm talking about PAM's calf strap, not croco/buffalo/ostrich/etc). Some straps offered above $120, some $60-$90, and some below $40. They're all mentioned "genuine calf leather". I just wonder what makes some straps much more expensive than the others, is it because the leather material itself or its softness or its workmanship or design or what. Price differences can be so widely vary.

Regards,

Peter.

NB: sorry if this topic already been here before, but as long as I search there's none.

Thanx for the info Jawo!, Seems ur PAM strap is raw-cut edges, is that true that raw-cut edges usually lead to higher price? because most of very expensive straps like manifratture firenze vintage are raw-cut edges. Or maybe they want to show the leather's authenticity through edges?

Second things I've read today is, hand-stiched vs machine-sewn strap. I know that machine sewn is much faster therefore lead to lower production cost while hand-stiched is slow n cause increase in their labor-cost, but how can somobody recognize if the strap is hand-sewn or machine-sewn? what is the benefit of hand-sewn strap vs machine-sewn, is it stronger? or more beautiful looking? why some people want to pay higher price for a hand-sewn?

Third things, seems the thickness should come from the leather itself, not from padding/inserting a cushion beneath top & bottom leather, am I correct?

Fourth, is it true that leather strap without back-lining tend to more expensive than the one with back-lining?

IMG_2100.jpg

the biggest difference is machine made vs. handmade

hktan's straps are 100% handmade

The style, thickness, stitching sides - doesn't make much of a difference -

quality of the leather - type of leather, makes difference

some straps are over priced

I don't like bob straps - they are stiff, and thin

Panatime has some Great straps for the same $$

Smat/ pam2pam has great straps

V's are some of my favorites

i have 1 HKtan and 2 more on order A good strap, and Good AR can take an average watch and make it Extraordinary!

Quite strange that biggest diff is handmade vs machine made, but thats the reality. I just dont get it why handmade is more desirable because I dont see any impact from handmade to its strengthness or stitching consistency, or maybe because leather strap is considered as luxury goods, just like a handmade rolls royce vs machine made toyota.

the biggest difference is machine made vs. handmade

hktan's straps are 100% handmade

The style, thickness, stitching sides - doesn't make much of a difference -

quality of the leather - type of leather, makes difference

some straps are over priced

I don't like bob straps - they are stiff, and thin

Panatime has some Great straps for the same $

Smat/ pam2pam has great straps

V's are some of my favorites

i have 1 HKtan and 2 more on order A good strap, and Good AR can take an average watch and make it Extraordinary!

The handmade ones are nicer - for the most part, BECAUSE they are made of better materials, ect ect

also its custom sized, and frankly the last 2 i ordered you can't find in the size and thickness in the "mass produced" market

The handmade ones are nicer - for the most part, BECAUSE they are made of better materials, ect ect

also its custom sized, and frankly the last 2 i ordered you can't find in the size and thickness in the "mass produced" market