When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Forum-Designed B-Uhr Laco Hommage ready

Bruce

A 42mm Hommage to the 55mm WW2 Beobachtungsuhr "B" design is now through the design phase, and no longer available for reservation. Here is a link to the prototype drawing: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showpost.php?...amp;postcount=1

The original Observers Watch (B-Uhr) were built during WW2 by 5 different German watch companies, Stowa, IWC, Wempe, Lange, and Laco. These 50 hommage watches will be built by LACO of Germany, using the definition generated by over 3 weeks of discussion (and in some cases disagreement). They will have Swiss ETA 2824 movements modified to be handwind. They will have center sweep-second hand, and period correct domed shaped crystal; sand blasted case, and strap. **Crystal material to be modern sapphire.**

*** 09:00 AM MST Issue has been Sold Out. *** The cost was 550 Euro.

Bruce

post-7126-1210266645_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bruce

Yes, somewhat similar. The original design of this particular dial (they changed as the war went on), as I understand it was done by Wempe, and this dial has a rather unique lume pattern, with only the even numbered seconds lumed, along with dots for each hour on the hour circle. The second hand on this watch is center-sweep (as ordered by the RLM under FL. 23883), I believe most of what T shows has seconds at 6:00 or 9:00 (6498 or 6497.) Also, there is a fine outer circle that is period correct, I'm not sure T's is this particular model. The design of the dial was the result of many hours of forum discussion, and comparisons to actual ww2 examples owned by forum members. The design process was actually quite exciting, and working closely with LACO, the implementation is quite remarkable.

Looks like Tourby's dial.
Edited by Bruce

Absolutely correct POTR. I'll bet the original was "Plexiglass". Thank you for the correction. I suspect there will be AR on the inside as well, so that would be a difference as well.

*** As of 09:00 Mountain Time 3/9/08 - Sold Out ***

Maybe correctly shaped sapphire crystal, but damn sure not period correct...

period correct would be plain old glass...

Edited by Bruce