When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Crosswind chrono help!

Geezer

I've had a Gold/SS Breitling Crosswind chrono for about 8 or 9 years.

It is a quartz movement but I love it. The only tropuble is that the gold has started to look a bit dodgy and I wanted to replace the watch for a SS equivalent. I can no longer find any dealers offering Crosswinds so I've turned to you learned collective.

It must be :

*Breitling

* SS [incl. strap, although I would consider leather]

* Quartz chrono

* Have Roman numerals

Thanks in advance!

#1 -beggers can't be choosers - not all models are made in all quality levels

#2 - WHY in the WORLD would you WANT a quartz? when there are top notch automatic movement reps out

#3 - there is no good rep of a crosswind out - however, you can buy the Chronomat EVO and put a gen crosswind dial in it- i have done so myself and it is quite good

#4 - there is a rumor that new dial styles of the Chronomat EVO will be coming out - one with a roman numeral.

#5 - where did you buy a rep of anything that the gold lasted 9 years?

#6 - you have used up most of your free advice - there is more on these topics, try doing some searching on the board.

#1 -beggers can't be choosers - not all models are made in all quality levels

#2 - WHY in the WORLD would you WANT a quartz? when there are top notch automatic movement reps out

#3 - there is no good rep of a crosswind out - however, you can buy the Chronomat EVO and put a gen crosswind dial in it- i have done so myself and it is quite good

#4 - there is a rumor that new dial styles of the Chronomat EVO will be coming out - one with a roman numeral.

#5 - where did you buy a rep of anything that the gold lasted 9 years?

#6 - you have used up most of your free advice - there is more on these topics, try doing some searching on the board.

Thanks for replying.

1. I realise that

2. I want Quartz because it's reliable and, usually, a 1/3rd of the price of any functioning Automatic movement. I've paid $400 for A-7750 watches that've lasted less than a year. My quartz equivalents are still accurate and going strong. I'd rather buy 3 that work than 1 that doesn't.

3. This sounds v technical(!) but I'll look into it. Perhaps I could find a watchsmith that could do it.

4. This sounds promising. I'll see what develops.

5. I've seldom worn it. The gold wasn't good when I got it, but I've only just got round to replacing it.

6. I've been having a good trawl through, thankyou.

Thanks for replying.

1. I realise that

2. I want Quartz because it's reliable and, usually, a 1/3rd of the price of any functioning Automatic movement. I've paid $400 for A-7750 watches that've lasted less than a year. My quartz equivalents are still accurate and going strong. I'd rather buy 3 that work than 1 that doesn't.

3. This sounds v technical(!) but I'll look into it. Perhaps I could find a watchsmith that could do it.

4. This sounds promising. I'll see what develops.

5. I've seldom worn it. The gold wasn't good when I got it, but I've only just got round to replacing it.

6. I've been having a good trawl through, thankyou.

1. Cool

2. A7750 watches can be serviced, its pricey, but they are almost always fixable or replaceable. i have never had one fail - of course, i haven't held on to many of them for as long as you have.

3. very technical, because you have to change out the hands- thats the hardest part - watchmaker can do it for you.

this is another person who has done the same thing -

crossbr5.jpg

4. - i hope i didn't sink a bunch of cash into a dial that will finally come out! :) but we'll see who knows.

5. makes total sense, but you should know that you will generally find better plating on the more expensive reps - as opposed to the quartz reps which get the low end treatment all the way around. - not a hard fast rule - but a good general rule

6. good - there is a lifetime of info here, enjoy!