When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

See what I just found on Bay

yim156

I did a bit of research on this the other day when it was listed. Its not a regular 7750 sub dial layout. It is the right layout for an Ingenieur or Portuguese, however its too thin to fit the rep case without major modification.

Our rep movements still have the date wheel and mechanism in place, and the transfer gears which shift running seconds to 12 are mounted on the front of all that. This IWC model replaces the entire front plate which normally houses the date change with a new plate containing the transfer gears.

Short answer is its about 1.5mm thiner than the regular 7750 and 3mm thiner than the replica 7750 with transfer gears. The stem won't line up if you mount the movement forward, the dial will be too far back and the movement retainer ring too deep if you line the stem up, and the hand posts too short if you try to use a spacer.

I've been trying to work out if there is a way to make a spacer.. but the only possible solution appears to be a spacer to move the dial backwards, and there is almost no space available to fit that due to the dial surround and the way it fits inside the case. Also any spacer would be visible thru the crystal. I doubt the shafts the hands mount on would be long enough to fit spacers under the dial as you need at least 1mm, probably more like 1.5.

If you have any way to machine a 1mm x .05mm x 31.8mm spacer ring though?

The genuine watch has the winding crown mounted slightly closer to the front of the case compared to the replica. The IWC catalogue has a great side on picture that shows it clearly.

I have two Ingeniers requiring the graphite treatment so hopefully that will suffice. I have one in parts at present but am wait for some other oils as I want to strip the whole movement and lube the rest while I am at it.

I did consider buying the movement just to try but its a lot of money and you're heading a long way towards a used gen watch one all up. Also the ingenieur rep cases are a long way from water proof around the chrono pushers so hardly an ideal place for a $1000 genuine movement.

I'm about to graphite treat two of mine so I'll let you know. Someone was reporting 3 months of constant wear a while back.. but I'm guess thats about the life span of an un-lubricated movement too so I'm not 100% sure..

I had a good look at the genuine in the dealer down here and the different crown position is quite noticeable. I had to work hard to keep the credit card safe the whole time too I might add!!