When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

18k plated or 14k wrapped?

tamo245

I was thinking of getting a two toned day-date as a gift for a friend and was wondering which is better? I assume the wrapped will last a bit longer but is the 18k much more realistic?

Worn as a daily watch how long will the gold on either look good?

Any other helpful advice welcome :)

Thanks!

Tammy

I was thinking of getting a two toned day-date as a gift for a friend and was wondering which is better? I assume the wrapped will last a bit longer but is the 18k much more realistic?

Worn as a daily watch how long will the gold on either look good?

Any other helpful advice welcome :)

Thanks!

Tammy

It would appear the that some of the 14k were solid gold links according to a thread I read on Repgeeks .

Apparently one of the dealers sent them to be tested and found mixed results.

In summing up he concluded that the 14k was in either wrapped or solid form the more durable of the 2 choices.

As to what looks more original I can't comment but would suggest if what is written is to be in part at least believed then for longevity the 14k wrapped is the best choice

It would appear the that some of the 14k were solid gold links according to a thread I read on Repgeeks .

I'm not familiar with that thread and it may have been mentioned, but keep in mind that "if" the links are solid gold, they are probably a very low karat, and then plated with either 14K or 18K. It is solid, but not solid 14K or 18K.

I'm not familiar with that thread and it may have been mentioned, but keep in mind that "if" the links are solid gold, they are probably a very low karat, and then plated with either 14K or 18K. It is solid, but not solid 14K or 18K.

Yes you are right they were 10K and plated in 14k which is fine 40% gold content in the UK 90% of jewelery is 37.5% gold

Hi guys

Just to add, I brought a 14K Wrapped Day Date,. The gold is a lot lighter in colour,than the 18k, but to be honest,still looks stunning on the watch, and doesnt stand out as "Rep". I mean it is hard to tell without a gen 18k comparison near..

The only problem with mine is.... I brought a White dial, DayDate with TT Pres Bracelet..... Although a stunning looking watch............Rolex NEVER made a Gen DayDate in Two Tone. (with the exception of the Tri dor)

So although its a stunning beaut watch. I end up never wearing it as it Screams "Rep" !!!

Just a thought!

I have two of the two tone daytonas from paul that say solid 14k. I acid tested them and proved to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k to 12k.

I wouldn't purchase any two tone day date as there are no genuine two tone day dates. The only one that would come close is the old tri-dor which is actually 3 tone.