When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Still Crazy After All These Years!

beanyboy

So I was going through my collection today, deciding what was great, good, okay, shitty, and it dawned on me that I have been collecting rep watches now for more than 20 years. My first ones were cheap Rolexes and Breitys bourght from guys on Broadway when I lived in New York. Then I went to Shanghai on business about 15 years ago and bought my first quality rep, a Breitling Chronomat t/t that I still wear and love. About three years ago I found this forum, which has increased my knowledge 100 fold. I buy two or three watches per year, and I buy better quality ones, for the most part, now that I know so much more.

So I recently took a chance and bought a Cartier Santos 100 from a guy on ioffer.com. Man, was that ever a mistake! The watch arrived, all right, but it was used and broken. How somebody could toss a used, broken, scratched rep into a box is beyond me. Of course, you get what you pay for, and I hadn't paid too much. I have sent the watch back ($23 USPS Priority Mail) and will await the outcome. If I never see a watch or my $100 it's not going to kill me. A rep life lesson. Then the Big Pilot I ordered from Angel & Jay finally arrived after two months, and I couldn't have been more pleased.

So I guess that's what keeps me going with this hobby. I love the anticipation, the thrill of getting a watch that exceeds expectatins (happens fairly often), and sourcing high quality straps to replace the crap ones that come with the reps.

It's even fun to see what will happen with my cheapo Cartier Santos 100 automatic tin foil movement rep! Some how I think the guy may try to make it right in the end. Just more fun and anticipation.

Beany

Good luck with that.

Funny that you mention the Santos 100. I just got back from Costco and I always glance at the high-end watches they have in their display case. Today they had a two-tone Santos 100 for about $5k and change (I didn't note the exact price), along with the usual Tags and a splash of Breitling and Omega.

I didn't know that Costco sold highend watches. Actually surprises me. I bet they are pretty good deals though.

Good luck with that.

Funny that you mention the Santos 100. I just got back from Costco and I always glance at the high-end watches they have in their display case. Today they had a two-tone Santos 100 for about $5k and change (I didn't note the exact price), along with the usual Tags and a splash of Breitling and Omega.

I didn't know that Costco sold highend watches. Actually surprises me. I bet they are pretty good deals though.

The Costco by me used to have a Ladies Cartier for $10,000+. I always told my wife I could get her that watch....well not THAT watch but she didn't know that. :)

Good luck with that.

I do not know why, but the twotone Santos is one of my favourite watches, although I do not really like Cartier or similar brands. It

I agree with you about the Santos 100 t/t. The one I got from ioffer.com was a used piece of crap, but somehow I think if the guy sends me a new one it will be fine. That watch has an amazing presence. It's also the watch that will get you the most compliments from the ladies...

I do not know why, but the twotone Santos is one of my favourite watches, although I do not really like Cartier or similar brands. It

My understanding is that Costco has display models only, and that they are not official dealers for any of these high-end watches (I've also seen Baume & Mercier, Rado, Movado, Ebel, Oris, and a few others-- but just one or two models, not the full lines). The warranties, if I understand correctly, are through Costco rather than the manufacturer.

There isn't much that surprises me at Costco anymore -- $10K grilles, $1k espresso machines, whatever.

I used to have a generation 1 Santos 100 rep that was actually pretty good, particularly for the price. But that is a watch where you really, really need the rep to be awesome to be convincing. Even then, Beany, you are correct. It drew many nice compliments.