When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help identifying a part

rmcsherry

Does anybody know what the small wheel is that engages with the crown wheel on this movement? All of the reference material I have refers to the crown wheel, ratchet wheel and click - but not the smallest gear (which seems to be pretty much unique to this movement, perhaps it is due to sharing the same components as an alarm movement?)

2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated - I'm ideally looking for a Swiss part / Bestfit reference or term. Cheers.

oooooo Angelus 240... I wonder what project you have in mind... ;)

I would call it an intermediate wheel, or intermediate coupler wheel... as it appears to be in line with and therefore a part of the keyless works... probably between the castle wheel and the transmission wheel, possibly designed a bit differently to be more sturdy to help transfer power to the stronger mainspring without damage...

but I can't be sure, as every one of these movements I bid on seems to go way out of my price range for some strange reason :rolleyes: ... so, I never got to "tear into" one... and I have never seen a diagram or chart on this 'rare' movement either...

Thanks for your help. I have also checked with a watch-material house / watchsmith, who is unable to identify it from the photos - as you say, it seems to interact with the clutch so presumably there may be another gear hiding in there?! I think I may end up getting a watchmaker to photograph all of the parts whilst this one is being serviced; I've already created 3D representations of all of the other parts by ripping a key-wound movement apart!