When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Clasp fell apart

The Mentalist

Ok guys, I need some advice. My UPO clasp has fallen apart. Basically the pin that acts as the hinge for the folding section has come out and I cannot get it back in nor do I know if it is possible to replace it. Any advice as to what to do? Can I buy a new pin and is it an easy job to reinstall it?

upodl1.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Those a are standard pins and should be easily replaced by a competent watch smith. I have seen sets available on Ebay fairly inexpensively.

Incredible! That just happened to me yesterday on my brand new UPO 42mm!

Search up on a tutorial by Pugwash, that also happened to him on his UPO when he first bought it.

However if I have to do what he did with his, I'm f*cked.

What did he do with his? I can't find the tutorial.

I can share my experience when mine fell off!

First I took it to my repair guy and he said I should leave it for a week because he had to form it on a machine tool and rivet it in... I said no thanks!

Went home and took an ordinary pin cut the stem and hammered it in the other longer part! After that I took my filer and ground the edges and made it look exactly like the original. It took me 20min no more! And this happened 3 months ago and its still on. When I get home if I dont forget I will take some pictures to show you guys!

Edit: now that I read my post, I realize that this might not sound like the most refined way to deal with this problem, but hey it works, looks like the real deal, holds up like the real deal and saved me probably 50EUR worth of repair!

Edited by Omega Fan

I got a PM from a member requesting to clear the details on my method! Well I was in a hurry yesterday so I will try to write it down now as clear as possible as far as the language barrier allows me to!

Take an ordinary pin(by this I mean a dress pin - the one they use when marking your jeans to cut them shorter :) :

http://www.melfisher.org/Pin2.jpg

) cut the stem(of the pin) shorter, and hammer it in the longer part left from the two pieces when the clasp fell apart(a shorter and a longer tube, the cut pin goes into the longer part)!

After that take the filer( :) by this I mean

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/51/51407/so-744df-r.jpg

) and file down the edges of the pin head and make it look exactly like the original.

Once again sorry for my English, and I hope to some extend I made it a bit clearer!

As I said if I can tonight I will post some photos of my clasp!

I guess there is another way, to put some epoxy inside the longer tube, assemble the clasp and try to push in as tight as possible the shorter one! I think this will also get the job done! As I said the first option did it for me and it still holds and looks nice!

Edited by Omega Fan

Here's the thread:

PO clasp repair

For some reason, when I click the above link, I get a message that the link is broken or out of date. Is the link correct? I have the very same problem. I guess that's a design flaw. Alternatively, does anyone have any pointers to the replacement part, or even the name of the part so I can search on my own?

Thanks!

My go to local watchsmith said he couldn't fix mine. (YES I HAD THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN AS WELL). Tried out the rubber strap for about a week which I absolutely hated!!! Not ambitious enough to try out my fellow forum mates interesting sounding repairs so I ordered a gen clasp and clasp end links from Otto Frei (Ofrei.com) I also ordered a gen dial and crystal to round out the already modded with gen crown, tube, HE valve and hands. As with most of their Gen Omega parts you will have to play the waiting game. I am finally getting my gen crystal and dial and the Gen clasp is still on backorder (was told it may be about 3-4 weeks from the time I ordered it) As a side not I will have a Flav lumed UPO pumpkin dial to sell or swap when my project is done as the previous owner had him lume the dial when the other mods were done