When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Timing machine

pierre22

I saw this site an other related site less than a year ago and since then the rep collection has grown in addition to an existing gen collection.

Now I am considering starting to play inside the watch and looking at watch tools.

I would like advice on a watch timing machine. I have found two models. One basic low cost the MTG-500L that doesn't do amplitude and a MTG-3000 (from one of the trusted vendor) with full features.

My immediate need is only to regulate my watch but in the future I want to service them myself. So my question is the MTG-500 enought or I will miss the amplitude?

Thanks

I have the 3000 & find it an invaluable diagnostic tool for making repairs. But you do not need a timing machine to regulate a watch since the watch must be fine-tuned to produce accurate time based on your particular wrist movements & lifestyle. I guess if you just want to regulate your watch, the 500 would not be overkill.

But I think you would be better off if you spent the money on TZ's 2-part Watch Course. The money spent on that course will serve you far better than the money spent for an expensive piece of equipment that produces information you neither know how to interpret nor have the ability to act on. It is kind of like asking whether you should buy a Stradivarius before you know how to play a violin. Your money would be better spent on violin lessons.

Of course, if cost is not an object or if you expect to get into repairing watches in the future, go with the 3000.

The 3000 model has now been replaced with the 4000 model which sells wholesale for about the same price. Its basically the same unit but with a colour LCD screen.

You'll probably still find the 3000 model for sale at top dollar online though so shop around.