When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 21J vs Swiss Eta question

MimiSars

I just received my Asian 21j of Noob Factory Yachtmaster. What I noticed is that the winding is harder and not as smooth as the Swiss ETA that I have on another Yachtmaster. Since this is my first Asian 21j, is this normal? Im just afraid of it breaking. Thanks.

Ideally, you should be very careful when manually winding an automatic watch. Preferably not wind it at all.

The movement is geared for automatic winding, and manually winding it stresses the gears.

That said, yes Asian movements often feels rougher than ETA.. "21j Asian" covers a lot of different Chinese movements. Some are as good as ETA while others are ok. In general, they are good movements though.

O wow I didnt know that. I thought you always had to wind it.

So automatic watches don't need to be wound if worn? *slaps head Thing is, I dont wear it every day. I guess Ill just wear it a couple of hours a day at home, that should prevent me from having to wind it, right?

Edited by MimiSars

No problem. :)

An automatic watch should start easily to tick, as you put in on and shake your wrist gently. After a days wearing, it should have enough power for 40-45 hours.

This is a nice read for a start:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...nding+automatic

Setting time and date when you pick it up after some days rest will soon be no hassle.. Or, you can buy a "watch winder" which winds the watch when you dont wear it. But, it is bit of a luxury. Personally, I have never missed it.

No problem. :)

An automatic watch should start easily to tick, as you put in on and shake your wrist gently. After a days wearing, it should have enough power for 40-45 hours.

This is a nice read for a start:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...nding+automatic

Setting time and date when you pick it up after some days rest will soon be no hassle.. Or, you can buy a "watch winder" which winds the watch when you dont wear it. But, it is bit of a luxury. Personally, I have never missed it.

Wow cool. Thanks but Im not platinum member so I cant see it :(

Ive got one more question if you dont mind, I posted it in the Rolex section. Whats the correct way to set the date and time? I remember someone said to only move the crown in one direction (Rolex). To unwind, you turn counter clockwise. To set the date and the time, it's clockwise, right?