When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster with flat saphire crystal

Skidbaecken

Hello,

I have a nice speedmaster and are almost happy with you. The known problem with the more recent version is that it has a flat sapphire crystal. The doomed crystal is one of the core elements of every speedmaster and its hard to believe that you guys are all comfortable with the flat crystal. I would really really like to exchange the crystal through a doomed one - either plastic or sapphire or mineral glas, doesnt matter. However, I am completely lost on the ofrei homepage. No idea which crystal to order to mimic the shape of the original. Has anynbody done this or has anybody a suggestion how to?

Let me know

Hello,

I have a nice speedmaster and are almost happy with you. The known problem with the more recent version is that it has a flat sapphire crystal. The doomed crystal is one of the core elements of every speedmaster and its hard to believe that you guys are all comfortable with the flat crystal. I would really really like to exchange the crystal through a doomed one - either plastic or sapphire or mineral glas, doesnt matter. However, I am completely lost on the ofrei homepage. No idea which crystal to order to mimic the shape of the original. Has anynbody done this or has anybody a suggestion how to?

Let me know

maybe hereor here. But which model ? that's a good question !

Edited by docdoc

If you are going to change the crystal to plastic to make a moon watch you will need to change the back as well, if you are doing this to make the watch more like the original, try to work out how to sort the subdials first as it wont matter how many gen or better parts you put on it it will still look like a rep!

BTW the saphire version is not flat but slightly domed

speedmastercrownsideon.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

I do agree that the speedmaster reps are not accurate and yes you would need to cover the subdials, the back and the 6 o-clock hand to make it more accurate.

For me though the doomed crystal is one of the very core elements of a speedmaster and it bothers me much more thasn subdials or back.

the cousins link is interesting - I check this out. If somebody has done the crystal replacement already let me know. I will report back once I have found a solution

I will report back once I have found a solution

I am VERY interesting if you find the right domed glass (or at least one that fits in) ! So let us know ;)

I checked my glass diameter on a 42mm box and it looks like a 35 mm diameter. But it is the visible part…

Edited by docdoc