When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Date wheel swap on 2824-2

Nex_necO

Is this a DIY task for a reasonably technical guy?

If so, what is the "must have" tools, and are there any do and dooooooonts!!! ?

It's on my Ingeniuer. It's hard to find a watch smith that will do the swap, so I need to know before I buy the date wheel.

Thank you very much.

Nex

Is this a DIY task for a reasonably technical guy?

If so, what is the "must have" tools, and are there any do and dooooooonts!!! ?

It's on my Ingeniuer. It's hard to find a watch smith that will do the swap, so I need to know before I buy the date wheel.

Thank you very much.

Nex

If you've never disassembled a watch before I wouldn't start on a 2824. Apart from possibly scratching the dial, breaking hands etc, getting the stem out and back without damaging the keyless works is a real challenge when you're unexperienced.

But if you're really interested in working on your own movements I would buy a cheap disposable Asian6497 Panerai rep to practice on. All the parts are a big bigger, which make it an easier start. You will also learn how easily a black dial can be scratched or hands can be broken...;)

There are lots of selfhelp guides and if you send Offshore a PM he can provide you with interesting learning material for a modest fee to support the forum.

The tools you will need:

- sticky ball for opening the caseback

- a piece of Rodico for cleaning, but also for holding hands

- movement holder

- hand removal tool

- set of handset tools (there are different sizes)

- watchmakers screwdriver set (the red, black and yellow are the ones you'll need the most)

- tweezers

- dust blower

- silicon grease to waterproof the gaskets

- Cape Cod cloths to polish SS

- brushing tool to brush SS

- bracelet pin remover

- lintfree paper

- patience

- even more patience :)

- guts to learn from your mistakes.

Most important before you start: make sure you have access to spare parts, dials or movements in case things don't work out the way they should.

Good luck!

I did mine my self but i would not recomend this as a task for a total beginer, best fuck up a couple of cheep watches and once you can break them work you way up to breaking expencice ones, at that point you may have gained the experience to do the date wheel swap, and that is acualy the easy part, given a movement out of a case andf a new date wheel it is a 2 min job, now getting the hands back one and the whole thing re cased with out scratching the hands ( like i did) well that is another story.

I have a draw full of experience in bits from cheep watches.