When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2006 edition Tiger Wood Golf Watch Gen-Rep Compro & Review

jitai

Square case watch has never been appealing to me. I will not even consider at it if it runs on quartz movement. However, after a trip to the AD. I think my thinking change as I was totally captivated by the limited edition Tag Heuer Tiger wood golf watch.

With the mixture of finely brushed titanium and SS casing, this watch weigh super light and unlike tradition watches, there is no clasp to close at the bottom of the bracelet. Instead, it uses a black silicon bracelet with exceptional elasticity for optimum comfort (Silicon bracelet can be trimmed for resizing to fit perfectly). The clasp is on the main watch case where it comes with double safety (push button at 10 and 2 o'clock) integrated using a patented lock and unlocking system. Another special thing is that the crown is at 9 o'clock to avoid wounding the wrist during a swing. The movement used is a swiss quartz movement and water resistance of 50m. Dimensions are L: 37.5 by W : 36.7mm by 10.5mm thick. With its sleek design, light weight and wearing comfort, it is absolutely an ideal watch not only for golf but other sports as well.

This limited edition golf watch has 2 versions. Version 1 is the first launch in year 2003 and version 2 has a new facelift with dimple dial.

Left Version 1 and right version 2

1568844523_03261edbc7.jpg

1568844677_d5d0bb9fc2.jpg

Although both version uses the same case an silicon bracelet, the most obvious difference is in the dial design (version 1 has "TW" printed on the dial while version 2 has a dimples dial) and the caseback text engravement layout.

As I really like the watch, I know I'm going to get the rep. Not just crap rep but the best out of the box type. I did some read up and below is what I understand.

The rep factory made 3 versions altogether.

Version 1 (2006 model) is the best and most accurate IMHO. The rep factory replicated it 1:1 to the gen. It has the correct date font, same case construction like the gen, correct caseback and bracelet. The only flaw is that the rep factory uses brushed SS to mimic titanium.

Version 2 (2007 model) is the worst IMO. The case is entirely incorrect (too lengthy) and looks weird too. The caseback is also wrong. See pic below

1569731510_5e37b4b2d8.jpg

Version 3 (2007 model) is an upgraded version in which we can get from most of the dealers here. However, there are still many flaws in this version.

1.The dimples on the dial is incorrect. It is holes depth of the dimples is too deep for the rep.

2.The hour numerals for "12" and "6" are incorrect. The numerals on the rep are too short and fat

3.The second hand is too long on the rep

4.The caseback used is incorrect. It uses the version 2 rep caseback which is for year 2006 not year 2007

Although I like the version 3 with dimple dial, but there are just too many flaws. So, I picked up version 1 (most accurate of the 3 versions).

Let see how the rep factory score.

1.) The rep factory offer the box (comes with manual booklet, warranty card and price tag) with the watch when you get them. I thought thought that the box is incorrect for this limited edition Tiger wood golf model, but I was wrong. The rep factory actually went all the way to make it best for us. Look at the pic below. Left is rep and right is gen. Same things you get for the rep. What a surprise!!!

1569731716_0ed617fd2c_o.jpg

2.) Let's take a close look at the dial. I see no flaws. Everything on the rep looks exact. Although the rep case is using brushed SS to tone down colour, it look the same to me.

1569733266_75598e9a8f.jpg

1568845567_d7d503c74f.jpg

3.) Let's look at the caseback. Again, it is a spot on. However, the true titanium colour shows up in this pic on the gen.

1568845883_1b98227cd0.jpg

The rep factory did a good job again. Model and serial number etched out nicely on the rep.

1569732622_7d81f692bf.jpg

4.) The rubber bracelet on the rep is soft but tough. I tried the gen one and the rep bracelet feel the same. The rubber used on the rep bracelet is not the crappy one that will become sticky and allow dust to stick on type. It feels like good quality rubber.

1569732912_288349f63d.jpg

In summary, I think this under rated quartz watch is very well made. From the box packaging, little details like the dial, caseback and bracelet. Everything is followed very closely by the rep factory. However, there are still some bad points on this rep. First, the lume sucks. Yes, really sucks. Only the lume on the hands glow while the rest will not. Next is the watch is not water resistance at all. So, my advice is try not soak or let it run under water.

There is a swiss version offered to this watch. However, the Tag logo on the swiss version is incorrect. It uses metallic logo instead of the correct green red painted logo. Only the asian quartz version has the correct logo.

This is a damn good looking watch and it feel very comfortable on the wrist. I am seriously thinking of getting it water-proof as this is really a great watch for every events be it outdoor or indoor. So, don't worry about swinging my hand hard anymore as quartz has this advantage over the automatic that may be damage if the shock is too high for it to take.

Some eyecandy.

1568861327_39db1bc869.jpg

1569746322_d904c942ec.jpg

I think the rep factory is relly serious in getting this one right. Even the price tag is printed with the retail price. Check this out in the pic below

1569750486_83943b13e9.jpg

Lastly, a white face golf watch for the lady...

1568863003_bb65d2ecd7.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

• 3 months later...