When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

source for Pam 212 crystal?

JJFlash

I thought my 212 crystal was sapphire.

Just found it in the watch box with a big crack.

Obviously was mineral glass.

Any suggestions for current source of replacement - sapphire if at all possible.

I checked Otto Frei but can't figure out the correct one.

I saw this previous post description for mineral glass replacement-

"acrylic high dome glass Sternkreuz HWS 37.2mm"

Appreciate any tips.

Thanks,

JJ

Maybe your crystal was sapphire. Highly domed sapphire on 1950 cases cracks exactly like mineral glass, or even more often.

Unfortunately there are no 37.2mm, either sapphire or glass, crystals around (btw, 37mm also fits and you will not find it either).

That Sternkreuz crystal is not mineral, it is acrylic (plexi) and it is your only option.

Maybe your crystal was sapphire. Highly domed sapphire on 1950 cases cracks exactly like mineral glass, or even more often.

Unfortunately there are no 37.2mm, either sapphire or glass, crystals around (btw, 37mm also fits and you will not find it either).

That Sternkreuz crystal is not mineral, it is acrylic (plexi) and it is your only option.

I have the PAM253, same type of crystal I assume. I also asked at my watch smith, but he could not supply one in mineral or sapphire.

--> i was thinking to put a flat sapphire crystal on, if available. Maybe anyone has ideas? what do you think? also at Ofrei?

I repeat, even if I would like to get denied, no such crystal available either in glass or sapphire. Neither from ofrei nor from cousinsuk or what.

But the plexi solutions has its good points.

It will never crack again.

If the crystal gets scratched then you can bring it to new life just by polishing it with a paste like Poliwatch.

Or, if you prefer, it is so inexpensive that you can buy a dozen at half the price of a standard 35.5mm sapphire crystal.

For those of you looking, here is what I found from Otto Frei.

I believe this to be a correct replacement.

(sssurfer can tell us for sure if this fits).

Scan down to the bottom or the page.

"Domed Mineral Glass 37.2 mm"

Also available in 37.00mm.

$5 each

http://www.ofrei.com/page_159.html

Wow JJ, great find!

Either those crystals have been recently added, or I completely missed them on my past surfing on ofrei wbsite.

As I said, glad to get denied. :)

I am just afraid that their shape might not be highly domed as required for a 212/253/minifiddy replacement crystal. Unfortunately, ofrei does not show pics of them.

In any case, they definitely worth a try. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow JJ, great find!

Either those crystals have been recently added, or I completely missed them on my past surfing on ofrei wbsite.

As I said, glad to get denied. :)

I am just afraid that their shape might not be highly domed as required for a 212/253/minifiddy replacement crystal. Unfortunately, ofrei does not show pics of them.

In any case, they definitely worth a try. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

yes, this one will surely be worth the try. they are 1 mm thick.

but the BIG question. will they as easily break as the other crystal? i.e. are the glasses cracking because of the case of because of poorly made replica glasses?

cheers,

J.

Edited by hooky

Tickness surely plays a role. The thicker the crystal, the lower the chance it breaks. That is why DSN crystals never break on fiddies.

Another factor in the game is the crystal's diameter. It it is too large it will give tensions so to make breaking easier.

1mm crystal is definitely thin. I would go for 37mm diameter in order to lessen tensions.

But at that price you may buy both 37 and 37.2mm crystals, try the 37.2mm, and if sooner or later it breaks you can replace it with the 37mm crystal.

Tickness surely plays a role. The thicker the crystal, the lower the chance it breaks. That is why DSN crystals never break on fiddies.

Another factor in the game is the crystal's diameter. It it is too large it will give tensions so to make breaking easier.

1mm crystal is definitely thin. I would go for 37mm diameter in order to lessen tensions.

But at that price you may buy both 37 and 37.2mm crystals, try the 37.2mm, and if sooner or later it breaks you can replace it with the 37mm crystal.

ok, will buy both crystals then. thanks!!

If i could find a 37mm sapphire, even a flat one instead of domed, i would directly buy it...

If i could find a 37mm sapphire, even a flat one instead of domed, i would directly buy it...

A flat crystal on a 253?!? :blink:

Heresy!!! eek4ms.gif

:D

A flat crystal on a 253?!? :blink:

Heresy!!! eek4ms.gif

:D

Yup, going crazy after the second crystal already cracked after just 8 months of having this watch. And I invested also in this watch. Relume and movement service from The Zigmeister, expensive leather strap, AR from Jakub.

So much willing to pay for a good piece of crystal for this great watch. On Ofrei there is also domed sapphire, 1,5mm think, diameter 38mm. 45usd. I think i will buy that as well and see if a supplier of my watch smith can make it fit to the PAM253 case. Little project.... :)

On Ofrei there is also domed sapphire, 1,5mm think, diameter 38mm. 45usd. I think i will buy that as well and see if a supplier of my watch smith can make it fit to the PAM253 case.

38mm is definitely too much.

No 37mm?

38mm is definitely too much.

No 37mm?

There is no 37mm on their website. Maybe the 38mm is big enough so that it can still be worked at to make it a 37mm. will check it out coming weeks. But i will also give them a call next week.

cheers,

J.

I am afraid that working on sapphire might prove uneasy. But if you find a way to replace 212/253/mifiddy crystal with sapphire, then no doubt many members will be interested.

Best whishes, let us know how it comes out.