When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Questions for Pam24A cyclop

jitai

This is my next long waited project. The PAM 24A

Have been trying to gather the "right" parts over a looooong time.

Just dropped in a lello's date wheel. So, my question now.

Does the rep cyclop mag looks ok with the bolder lello's date font?

I got a chieftang cyclop coming. Should I remove the rep cyclop and replace with cheiftang's?

2697934035_839e075011.jpg

Should I use the chieftang's cyclop or the rep cyclop is already good enough?

Experts. Please help. :p

Edited by jitai

Sandwich crystal, it can't be done.

+1.

Lello has once been able to disassemble and reassemble a sandwich crystal w/ embedded cyclops (while I completely ruined one), exactly on a 24. But he used exactly the same cyclops as before. If you try and use an even slightly different diameter cyclops, it will either not fit into the hole (if larger), or you are going to end up with an unbearable double contour around the cyclops (if smaller).

Also, IMO, your rep cyclops with the Lello DW looks excellent.

Definately a Sandwich crystal so aftermarket cyclops is nearly impossible...

Also not that you have a Hashmarked bezel which came out on the "D" series and above 024 Submersibles....

The "A" series has a non-hashed polished Bezel....

It depends which model PAM 24 you have. Some did come as standard crystals and I do love Chief's cyclops for certain models. My solution for the state of the art 24A is gen crown and Jimmy CG on the case and Lello datewheel plus sandwich crystal found on the newer ones.:

IMGP1792.jpg

And if you have any doubts - Rep versus gen:

IMGP1784.jpg

Thanks again guys.

I owned some pam reps with sandwiched cyclop before. The one on mine is a one piece cyclop.

Another question for Kruzer, Is it possible to polish off the harshmarked bezel ?

Thanks for your help. :)

It looks like they're different models? Not a sub expert, but the dials are a different color and the gen has the metal borders around the hour markers, in addition to the difference in hash marks on the bezel....

Dluddy, I feel honoured from your reference. Thanks!

Btw, I am constatntly preparing the next release of that table. :)

jitay... even if this stays a little obscure to me... the BB number (or, on a few PAM models, PB number) uniquely identifies a PAM watch, almost like the serial number (e.g. 0937/2000).

Differently from the OP number, that identifies only the case model so it is not unique.

AFAIK, the difference between BB numbers and serial nubers is subtle.

Imagine that Officine Panerai wants to make 2000 pieces of a given PAM XXX model on year 2008. Imagine that after making 500 pieces they suspend the production of that given model to make, e.g., 300 pieces of a different PAM YYY model, to then come back to produce the remaining 1500 pieces of PAM XXX.

The last PAM XXX model made before the interrupt has serial number 0500/2000 and -- let's assume -- BB number BB 100400.

When they come back to produce the PAM XXX again, the first watch of the new PAM XXX run gets serial number 0501/2000 and BB number BB 100701 (100701 = 10400 + 300 + 1).

In other words, the serial number is unique only with respect to a given model and series, while the BB number is unique over ALL the models and series, it really identifies one single watch.

the one with polished bezel... is it 24A???

Yes, it is 24A, and some 24B -- all those with the OP 6527 case.

All other OP numbers, i.e. the remaining of B series and all C+ series, have brushed bezel.

Unfortunately all the 24A reps I have seen have a brushed bezel so it will require polishing. What I should add is that this particular rep has the best 12 click bezel action I have ever felt on a PAM rep. It actually matches the gen perfectly. But to make a 24 "perfect" - ) you will have to remove the hour marker surrounds and relume to tritium. In truth the 24 D is going to be easier. And if you can ever source a case back for a later 24 (j or later) that model actually comes with a lumed dial and the surrounds.

Oh well, the good news is that CapeCod cloths make miracles in polishing brushed SS. :)

• 3 months later...

Sandwich crystal is as it sounds. It is a pair of crystals glued together. The lower layer has a hole drilled into it to allow for the cyclops to be glued to the bottom of the top crystal. The cyclops is attached to the top crystal but sticks thru the hole on the second crystal allowing more height (and better magnification) above the datewheel. That is how the gen crystal is constructed.

Sandwich crystal is as it sounds. It is a pair of crystals glued together. The lower layer has a hole drilled into it to allow for the cyclops to be glued to the bottom of the top crystal. The cyclops is attached to the top crystal but sticks thru the hole on the second crystal allowing more height (and better magnification) above the datewheel. That is how the gen crystal is constructed.

does it means that it is a improve over the standar crystals?

Thanks for your support kruzer

does it means that it is a improve over the standar crystals?

Definitely.

You can find that crystal & cyclops on most submersibles, all recent DSN auto PAMs, and unexpectedly even on a few low-cost PAM reps like Joshua's 1st generation Asian 104.

Unfortunately, sandwich crystal / recessed cyclops makes replacing the cyclops almost impossible in case you want to do that, as kruzer wanted.

Definitely.

You can find that crystal & cyclops on most submersibles, all recent DSN auto PAMs, and unexpectedly even on a few low-cost PAM reps like Joshua's 1st generation Asian 104.

Unfortunately, sandwich crystal / recessed cyclops makes replacing the cyclops almost impossible in case you want to do that, as kruzer wanted.

Thanks for your help sssufer

is there anyway to know what type of crystal ( sandwich or standar) the watch has, without remove it?

Very difficult to tell without removing the crystal. I suppose if you were intimately familiar with the improved magnification you could tell. And yes it is superior. That is how the gen crystal is built. All things being equal it allows you to either improve overall magnification by raising the height of the cylops from the date or maintain the same magnification as a one piece crystal using a lower magnification cyclops for better clarity. I am simplifying this but you get the idea.