When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stainless Steel Strap adjustment

caracarnj

Hi,

Seemed to me that everyone here has the ability to add/reduce links to/from the stainless watch strap to accomodate the wrist. At least nobody talks about it when buying reps.

Me, I even have to specifically instruct my dealer to do it for me for my 1st rep which has yet to arrive.

Is there something wrong with me or is this something (adjustment of strap) that can be done easily?

Cheers!

Cara J

Hi,

Seemed to me that everyone here has the ability to add/reduce links to/from the stainless watch strap to accomodate the wrist. At least nobody talks about it when buying reps.

Me, I even have to specifically instruct my dealer to do it for me for my 1st rep which has yet to arrive.

Is there something wrong with me or is this something (adjustment of strap) that can be done easily?

Cheers!

Cara J

Most dealers would add links for you if you have a large wrist (most for a cost), but they may not put them in the band for you... How do you know how many links to have removed all bracelets sit and wear differant. Just because you need 1 link removed for one watch does not mean 1 removed from another would be correct for your wrist.

Most dealers would add links for you if you have a large wrist (most for a cost), but they may not put them in the band for you... How do you know how many links to have removed all bracelets sit and wear differant. Just because you need 1 link removed for one watch does not mean 1 removed from another would be correct for your wrist.

This may sound really stupid but I gave him my wrist size. Ha ha ha!

Guess I might need to take out those old watch and start experimenting with adding and removing of the links. :)

Hi,

Cheers!

Cara J

Most bracelets are sized large enough for most wrists, evn larger ones. If you need to remove links, use this, which works every time for me:

http://www.ofrei.com/page237.html

Cara - Without knowing which watch you purchased, I cannot be specific. But the bracelets for most modern watches -- the genuine model & most better reps -- have several links that are held together with small screws. So all you need to 'size' your new rep is to unscrew 2 screws to remove each link. Often, there are 4-6 removable links per bracelet, which allows for a wide range of possible sizes. After you remove the link or links to fit the bracelet to your wrist, simply reattach the remaining links with the screws. As long as you can use a small screwdriver & you are careful not to scratch any of the polished metal surfaces around the screws, the process is really quite simple.

Good luck & welcome.

There are exceptions to the rule but sizing a bracelet is one of the easier tasks - provided (as always) - you have proper tools. There is a toolkit sold on Amazon, which will be good enough unless you plan to dig deeper into working on reps.

There is two basic ways - screws and pins that will hold extra links that can be added or removed to change the length of a bracelet. For the screws (like Rolex Submariners), you need a decent small watchmaker screwdriver and a little plastic holder (part of the toolkit) to hold the bracelet while you size it (remove one link at a time to get to the desired length). For the pin version (like on the Omega PO or SMP), you need a little hammer and a pin-driver (for lack of the right word...) and the plastic holder (all part of the toolkit)... it's not that difficult if you don't have two left hands....

Thanks ARR, Freddy, Vric and Chubb for your help and info.

Mine is a Breitling Montbrilliant from EuroTimez.

I guess it's down to fear of damaging the strap that is holding me back from even thinking it is possible to do it myself.

As this is going to be my 1st rep, I just wanna to play safe but at the same time I know I need to learn how to do it myself eventually.

Thanks again, will keep you guys update on my progress soon! :)