When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Care and feeding of the Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic

adrenalin

Greetings all!

Sorry for the question. I am sure that this has been covered elsewhere in the forum, but unfortuately, I get sidetracked so easily that I am loosing my way :o

Everytime I get focused, I get drawn into looking at something else... "OOOOOOhhhh! thats cool! how does that work?" or "What does that term mean?"...

So anyways, I have taken the plunge on a Rolex GMT with the Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic movement. I have seen Trusty's Q&A that answers many basic questions. Is there a link in the forum that covers more don't-do-that-or-your-gonna-be-screwed recomendations? I would like to prevent a major screwup strait out of the box.... :)

Thanks in advance!

-K

Upon receipt of your new watch GMT, wind it 40 turns, set the time & set it on a table & let it run, untouched, for about 2 days. If it stops within the 1st 36 hours or you discover a problem, it may be defective. Contact the seller for instructions. If it runs & keeps good time, you should be fine as long as you do not use the GMT function or try to set the GMT hand. Activating the GMT hand seems to be the catalyst that causes self-destruction in some of these watches. If you leave it alone, there is a better than 50% chance that the watch will keep working (mine has been running flawlessly since June).

Guest carlsbadrolex

This thread can probably be locked now... Freddy has stated everything that should be done!

And I strongly suggest that anyone who has a modified 2836-2 GMT heed his warnings and follow his directions!

And if you should fail to follow his directions, let me know what you need some spare parts. I think I have 4 2836-2 GMT's torn apart in my parts box.

This thread can probably be locked now... Freddy has stated everything that should be done!

And I strongly suggest that anyone who has a modified 2836-2 GMT heed his warnings and follow his directions!

And if you should fail to follow his directions, let me know what you need some spare parts. I think I have 4 2836-2 GMT's torn apart in my parts box.

Thanks for the advice.... wind, dont touch.... If I need spare parts, something has gone horribly astray...

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

I will go and follow all his directions...

Thanks again!

-K