When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Impressions - Tag Heuer Grand Carrera

TmeShare

I received my black dial Tag Heuer Grand Carrera yesterday and thought I would share some specs and impressions:

First the specs I was looking for when I bought the watch:

It is a 21K low beat 7750 movement.

It takes a 22mm strap. Important if you want to switch the bracelet to a strap, especially if you want to use a genuine Monaco strap (deployment or otherwise) as it is 22mm and thus will fit this watch.

Case thickness - I know much has been made of this but having tried the real thing and the replica I have not noticed the 3mm difference.

Now for my overall impressions:

Overall, the dial, case and bracelet are 1st rate and look and feel like the real one. This adds to the first overall impressions of the watch and I think the average person who knows about the watch will believe that this is a Grand Carrera.

The black dial is very accurate and in comparison with looking at the real one (not side by side, hard to do at an AD) and looking at pictures of the real one, the spacing of the lettering on the dial is almost dead-on to the actual watch. The Cotes de Geneve effect on the rotating dial window bezels is very good and when the watch is angled to the light it reflect the light, identical to the real watch.

The crystal has a good AD coating but with a slight blueish tint.

The bracelet links are accurate and the watch link are removed with the typical Tag Heuer pin and sleeve system that has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Although, the pins seem to come out easier on the Grand Carrera compared to the regular Carrera bracelet that I own.

Probably the only item on this watch which identifies the watch as a replica is the rotating subdial (the constant seconds at 3). As identified by other purchasers already on this forum, the dial is somewhat jerky and not as smooth sweeping as the real watch. I suspect that the Grand Carrera has the same movement as the Tag Heuer SLR rep. as the constant second hand is jerky on that replica also, but I think the jerky movement on the rotating dial is more noticeable. Having said that, the SLR has performed fine and I have not had any issues. I am certain that both the SLR and Grand Carrera do not use the movement that was in the Breitling GT(?) a while back, which received rave reviews.

So time for the real test, would I buy the watch again? Yes, as mentioned above the thickness of the case isn't as big of an issue as many believe and the overall impression of the total watch is VERY GOOD. The only item that will give the watch away is the rotating dials jerky behavior but someone has to look at the watch for more than a passing glance to see this item.

Summary, love the watch and am already wondering what this watch would look like on a Monaco deploy strap. Also, I hear the white dial Grand Carrera calling me!!

TimeShare

Pics pls.

I think if someone has a look @ this watch.....the first thing they will notice is the moving seconds dial ....as the two subdials on the watch are fairly prominent. Am not so sure if the jerky movement is still ok ....or will be overlooked.

My thinking is that the Cotes de Geneve (wave effect) bezels around the roating dials are so prominate that the eye will naturally be drawn to these rather than the jerky constant seconds rotating dial on a casual glance. I agree that if anyone studies the watch and dial they will see the jerky rotating dial. Also, keep in mind that the rotating dials are sunk much like the date on many 7750 movement watches.

Having said that, I have been wearing the watch constantly since I received it and constant seconds rotating dial appears to be getting smoother but still no where near the real one.

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

May I ask where did you buy the Grand Carrera? I'm thinking of buying the black dial version from Perfect Clones (http://www.pc-80108.com), or should I look elsewhere? I've asked them about the version of the movement, if it is the low-beat 21k6 version, or high-beat 28k8 .. lets see what they say. Maybe there is no high-beat version of this replica yet?

Edited by 801run