When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slipping Chrono center seconds hand

m4rcus

Hey everyone,

I received a Skyland V1 on Monday. It looks great, but the center seconds hand for the chronograph is slipping really bad. I have tried to push it down more securely and have tried to tap it in better. Neither method has worked.

I have been doing the research and found the recommendation of gluing the hand with an epoxy like Devcon. The problem is, I can't figure out exactly how to do it.

Do I but the epoxy on the outside of the hand's post, inside the post, or somewhere else. I'm kinda at loss here. Can someone point me to the a post that illustrates and/or spells out what I'm supposed to do?

I'm really on the fence if I should attempt it or not. Last year I was a total putz with disassembling watches and now I can do it a lot better, but I don't have all of the tools to place hands on. I would like to try it and purchases the necessary tools, but kinda wish I could find a rep-friendly watchmaker in the US that would help me out. It looks like The Zigmeister is booked solid for several months and I've never used another watch repair person.

Anyway...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

marcus

You want to line up the hand and the tube, and apply a small bead of epoxy where the two intersect, along the back side of the hand. Here is a picture of one that I did a while ago:

handrepairbc8.jpg

...from this original post.

Coincidentally, I just performed this repair yesterday on a sweep hand which separated when I was removing it.

Thanks avitt. Your post was the one that I had read last night.

I might be incorrect, so please correct me if I am wrong, but in your picture you are reconnecting the hand to the the hand post. Right?

In my particular case, the hand and the hand post are still connected. The problem is that the hand will not sit down correctly onto the hour, minutes, second hand post. Maybe I just need a hand setting tool? Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough. Thoughts?

The second hand is actually constructed of two parts, the hand itself, and the tube which is riveted on. When the chrono hand doesn't reset properly it usually means that the rivet is not tight enough and as avitt pointed out, you need to epoxy the underside of the hand.

Have you removed the hand? You probably have just assumed that the hand is spinning on the post, but are likely mistaken. I don't think you'd want to epoxy the hand on to the movement as you would never be able to remove it without messing up the post.

andreww,

Thanks! I had no idea that it was two pieces. I didn't pick that up in my reading.

I actually feel better about it now though. I think I could actually complete the epoxy part using avitt's picture and instructions.

Thanks again guys,

-- marcus

Oops...Sorry about the slow response.

I just went out the garage to check, and it's Devcon High Strength 2-part epoxy, with a 30 minute work time.

No problem! Thanks for the info and all of the help. I just ordered some hobbylinc.com.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dev/devs-31.htm

-- marcus