When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Optics Question (applies to any PAM with a cyclops)

red

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Chiefs cyclops.

I am a huge datefont nut, and the 104 datefont made by Lello, DSN, and found in the new crop of 104s from the Cartel, are actually quite good. But, I think it is the cyclops that really misses the mark.

My friend has an 88, and another owns the 104 and both dates are really bold. From any angle, and any distance the date is quite bold.

My 104 comes close only from certain angles, and contingent on the specific day.

Is it worth getting a Chiefs cyclops?

Are there are options out there that can possibly rival the optics of Panerai?

Thanks in advance.

The new auto PAM, both by DSN and Josh/Andrew etc, have a recessed cyclops embedded in a sandwich crystal, like the gen.

This prevents from the ability to replace the cyclops.

The only way to have it perfect would be that the manufacturers design a perfect cyclops, like OP did. So far they designed and made an almost-perfect, still not perfect, cyclops.

Also, there is a chance that OP used aspheric cyclops in order to lessen cushion distortion that arise from great mag power. In this case, the cyclops alone would cost about as much as the whole rep.

There is nothing that applies to any PAM with a cyclops, as some PAMs have the abovesaid recessed cyclops, other don't, some have an additional small lens embedded in the date window, other don't, etc...