When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Solid Caseback for Speedy Moon

adrenalin

Greetings all,

I have been lurking in the omega area for some time. I am particulary intrested in a full sized speedmaster moon. I have read with great intrest all of the wonderful reviews that everybody has take the time to put together with compairsons, what to look for etc... I havent been able to find anything about the possibility of changing the caseback to a solid, just like the gen. Did I miss it somewhere? can somebody direct me where to look, who sells the backs, do they fit? what kind of movement fits, what doesnt fit etc...etc... I am thinking hard about pulling the trigger soon. I think Ruby has the most accurate looking of all the examples I have seen.

Any input would be apreciated and thanks in advance!

-K

I went through this same exercise. I have a Speedy Moon Watch with the handwind movement. It's the same movement in my Broad Arrow. They both had the same transparent caseback. I found a member selling a moon watch with a crappy asian movement and faux chronos but it had the solid caseback. I bought it for $60 and put the caseback on my Moon watch.

It peeves me that you can only get a rep of the rep, ie: the annivesery model. This used to come with the solid back before some clown decided to "improve" it. Wouldn't be so bad if the MVT was spot on but I still want a solid back on it before I get one. Sixty five quid translates to about 180 bucks OZ tho . . . Ouch!

Col.

Of course, if you don't want to buy the gen, then....no never mind......oh ok then......you sure?....alright, there's always THIS:

picture24af2.png

Only problem is that watch (the same crappy asian Speedy someone referred to earlier) is LONG discontinued, Jay has confirmed that to me recently, so no parts, yet another dead end :frusty:

C'mon you didn't think it was going to be that easy did you? :p

I have been throught this research and I give it up for now. Stay us tunes with your researches. Love to hear if you figure this out. After the solid back you may go to the next step which is where to find a good acrylic glass which fits the 42 mm case of the speedy rep.

Edited by docdoc

I have been throught this research and I give it up for now. Stay us tunes with your researches. Love to hear if you figure this out. After the solid back you may go to the next step which is where to find a good acrylic glass which fits the 42 mm case of the speedy rep.

Oh but this IS the final step - I already have a nice, accurate, very low domed acrylic (hesalite) crystal on my Speedy ;)

Couple of things - I'll wait until a guinea pig sees if the gen caseback fits the rep case - I know the size is accurate but the tolerances are always a [censored] - a quarter of a mm out or thread screws slightly unaligned, oh we all know the pain.

The other thing, I notice the 50th Anniv rep is for sale on ioffer - with solid caseback, decent enough but at $120 you're paying the same price as a gen caseback for a crappy rep - and even then no guarantee it will fit.

Oh but this IS the final step - I already have a nice, accurate, very low domed acrylic (hesalite) crystal on my Speedy ;)

Does it fit the 42mm case?

Where do you get it ? where do you get it ? please ! please ! please !

The other thing, I notice the 50th Anniv rep is for sale on ioffer - with solid caseback, decent enough but at $120 you're paying the same price as a gen caseback for a crappy rep - and even then no guarantee it will fit.

found this one

Edited by docdoc

Common guys.... your not making this any easier...

So, as near as I can tell, Get the watch from one place, a dome from another and caseback from a 3rd....

At this rate, a gen might be worth the extra scratch just not to deal with it.... :rolleyes:

I too will keep looking...

Thanks for all the feedback

-K

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I finally got one of the old school Domed Hesalite crystal Moonies. Thanks Dale :good:

omegaspeedmastermoon357wb7.jpg

There are 3 Major Flaws, two of which can be corrected. First is Subdial spacing and only a genuine movement can fix that. I decided I would fix the other two though and as discussed in this thread, the solid caseback covers the obvious movement flaw so I sourced a gen, and yes it fits :thumbsupsmileyanim:

omegaspeedmastermoongenub7.jpg

The other fixable flaw is the bracelet clasp. The gen lists Omega Speedmaster Professional and the rep lists Omega Speedmaster.

Fixed that with a genuine clasp B)

omegaspeedmastermoongenup9.jpg

@ dluddy

If you want to be really anal about it you should get the rehaut ring painted black to get rid of the 'silver wok' look too. Grear looking rep by the way though. I had one of those and it inspired me to get two gens...!

Thanks. On my Ziggy work list already :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This has been on my Gen list (at the top) for some time so one of these days....Except I really want a Cal 321 Pre-Moon