When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie

caracarnj

WE all remember our first time. We remember the excitement leading up to the big moment. Will it be as good as we've heard? Will I be any good or will I embarrass myself? The anticipation - perhaps even a touch of anxiety - all add to the richness of experience that without a doubt makes up the most memorable times of our lives.

I am sure you know the kind of special experiences I am talking about. They describe the varied significant moments in life - from losing of one's virginity to starting one's first job. In the realm of watch collecting, we would be talking about a first visit to the annual watch fairs held in Basel and Geneva each year.

In early April this year, I finally succumbed to the temptation and headed off to Geneva for the SIHH (Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie). While many folks might be more familiar with the BaselWorld Fair, I had specific reasons for choosing SIHH. As with many things in life, it is important to choose the right 'partner'. One does not want his or her 'first time' to be with the wrong one. While Basel is open to the public, SIHH is for the industry, the trade community and by invitation only. It is smaller in scope and scale and therefore, I would say that it is far more manageable to navigate and ultimately to enjoy.

Personally, it also was the showcase for many of my favourite manufactures. In addition to having the wonderful Richemont Group brands, SIHH exhibitors also include Audemars Piguet and a few others. Finally, a number of superior independent brands choose to exhibit in Geneva during SIHH, including a favourite of mine, Richard Mille. Now, to carry my tongue-in-cheek analogy a bit further, it is always wise to get a little advice from your more experienced friends. I am extremely fortunate to have a couple of good buddies, who provided me with some great guidance and assistance.

009myfirsttimecd3.jpg

Both are iconic figures in the global watch community and they made sure that I did not commit too many faux pas. They were the best possible 'wingmen' I could possibly have.

My advice, to anyone considering the prospect of attending either of the fairs for the first time, is to enlist the help of a seasoned attendee. Someone whom you trust, and who knows you well, will prove to be invaluable in helping to make your fair experience as enjoyable as possible.

Another piece of advice is to be realistic in your objectives and expectations. Don't try to see and do everything in one day. Prioritise and pace yourself, since the exhibits can be a bit overwhelming at first glance, especially on your initial entry to the Salon. For me, I selected the brands that most captured my attention and interest, and made sure that they were on my schedule.

Among the many spectacular timepieces on display in Geneva, there were some particularly memorable ones. Our very first stop was the Audemars Piguet booth and it proved to be a perfect introduction to the SIHH.

One of the most impressive pieces that we saw was this year's bold and stunning Royal Oak Carbon Concept watch. Following last year's very successful introduction of a forged carbon case in the Royal Oak Offshore Alinghi Team watch, this new piece is the first of its kind to incorporate the same carbon element in both the case and the movement. It was both a technically and aesthetically impressive demonstration of fine watchmaking.

I readily admit to being an unabashed fan of Vacheron Constantin, a manufacture that has created some of the world's most treasured timepieces over the past 250-plus years. This year they unveiled - in my opinion at least - the highlight of the fair. The new, wonderfully innovative Quai de l'Ile line of watches marks a milestone for the brand as it combines some very contemporary elements of haute horlogerie together with the traditions of fine watchmaking that Vacheron Constantin has long been renowned for. It is truly ingenious how they have introduced technology from currency production into a wristwatch. I think that would-be counterfeiters have finally met their match.

Among the many exciting displays and presentations, the most impressive to me was found at A. Lange & S