When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have a 5517 Mil Sub? Looking to get one..

comex

The 5517 Tswisswatches offers is the same that precious time offers. The hands are completely off, in particular the minute hand is a give away.

The dial looks good to me. The Oyster Perpetual font is a little bold on the rep and the coronet is not exactly the same size, but it is good enough.

After I got the recommendation here on RWG to use MKIIwatches hands I'll go that way for a 5517. The look nice, fit ETAs and are inexpensive.

IMHO very important when building a 5517: These watches won't be found in mint condition. They were a tool and used like one. They have to be scratched, used, aged - imagine how it would look after 40 years hard work in the more inhabitable areas of this planet. You'll find some pics of a gen attached to this post.

post-12755-1220428459_thumb.jpg

post-12755-1220428468_thumb.jpg

post-12755-1220428476_thumb.jpg

post-12755-1220428481_thumb.jpg

post-12755-1220428486_thumb.jpg

i bought a couple of them..i like them...this one is from silix and ive been punishing the insert with bleach ..aging the lume and dial with water colours and tea ..i have the yao hands to attach ... ive been obscuring the issue markings alternating abrasives then polish..and roughing up the case with a coffee can full of screws and bolts..not a perfect watch by far but who cares..i live in the woods and no ones gonna see it anyway :D

post-2605-1220534392_thumb.jpg

Edited by kin tama

i bought a couple of them..i like them...this one is from silix and ive been punishing the insert with bleach ..aging the lume and dial with water colours and tea ..i have the yao hands to attach ... ive been obscuring the issue markings alternating abrasives then polish..and roughing up the case with a coffee can full of screws and bolts..not a perfect watch by far but who cares..i live in the woods and no ones gonna see it anyway :D

post-2605-1220534392_thumb.jpg

..that looks awesome! Once you have it altogether it will look really convincing I'm sure.

So how well is the watch made/put together? Is the crown/tube OK and screws down nice? I guess if it doesn't and you want to make it waterproof, you could always take or drill out the existing tube and put a real one in and a real crown.

Is the movement a real ETA or a Chinese version?

Let's see it when it's all together..

Thanks,

Konrad