When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just for the record

freddy333

The GMT Master I just received (at hypersonic speed - in 4 days) from Josh contains a gen ETA 2836-2. Admittedly, some of the screw heads were pretty beat-up & the movement was in definite need of an overhaul (no surprises there), but I did get what I paid for.

Now, to put this in context, I have to say that this is only the 3rd rep watch I have purchased in over a year (the other 2 were the Swiss chs GMTIIC & Silix rols176 Cartier vintage Sub that is marketed as having an Asian 21J movement), so I am in no position to make pronouncements regarding how my finding translates into what may or may not be installed in the majority of rep watches leaving the factories recently. But I think it does put to rest the claim that all ETAs in new rep watches are Asian-made ETA copies.

Also, I think it bears mentioning that the (slow beat) Asian 'POS' movement that powered the Silix Sub was quite an eye-opener as well. This movement was built quite well & although I have not disassembled the entire calibre, the fit & finish of the external parts I am able to inspect is quite good. I might even say on par with a gen ETA, but I will reserve that comment until I have time to disassemble/reassemble & test it on the WeiShi.