When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolexes

whitestripes

Hey guys,

I just developed an interest in vintage Rolexes, particularly the Subs. I love the simple look of non-applied indices, the acrylic crystal, and the lugholes :-). I know Silix has a ton of reps, but what would be a good one to start with and Wabu (wabi?) the crap out of it. By this I mean, which is pretty accurate? What mods are necessary? This is heavily discussed for modern 16610 subs, but vintage it seems like it's a "do your own thing" kind of thing.

Love these pics, (property of their respective owners from the "vintage love" thread)

IMG_1527.jpg

RolexwithMouth2.jpg

RolexStacked.jpg

I really like this one:

dscf1444xa5.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Help me get into the vintage rolex addiction!

I agree 100%. If I were you start off with the new 5513 white dial from Eurotimz. LOOKS FANTASTIC! Then the 1665 GWSD and finally a double red 1680 sub. For all three out of the box they are great watches...very well built. IMO all you need to do is get someone to install/recess a closer to gen insert, drill out the lug holes to correct size and install the correct spring bars, trim the CG and finally install a better crystal (say a CLARKE crystal) and you will have watches to DROOL over.