When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Variations In Gen Big Wings SA Dials

HauteHippie

Well, here I have two gen Breitling SA dials side by side. And guess what... there are some very noticeable differences. Some of the differences are not easily noticeable in the pic, so let me describe.

**First... what's the easiest way to spot a V2 rep dial vs. a gen? Look at the 1 numerals. You see on the rep that the tips of the 1 are rounded, whereas on the gen they come to crisp, sharp corners. Then, of course, unless it's black, the color is wrong. And the rep lume is rather sloppy. And the subdial print is too bold. Etc... Rep dial pic below (borrowed from Sead)**

Now on to the differences between two blue genuine dials:

(1) The dial on the left has a bolder font near the date window. Especially the "CHRONOMETRE Automatic" font.

(2) On the 12 o'clock sub dial, note the differences in the thickness of the three lines between the 30 and 5, the 10 and 15, and the 20 and 25.

(3) This one is hard to see. But the subdials are also different. The one on the left has larger concentric rings than the one on the right.

(4) The one on the left is stamped CF 615 on the back, the one on the right is stamped CF 611 on the back (but someone penciled in a 5 to make it 615).

And, BTW, one similarity I've noticed with ALL gen SA dials is the lume definitely does *not* appear to be machine applied. It's is not perfect by any means... but a big step up from the rep still.

The pic of two blue gens (pardon the crappy pic and dust) :

blue_2.jpg

A pic of a V2 rep blue dial (Sead) :

Picture070-1.jpg