When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC St Exupery UTC replica SS

piratedzeus

I am showing my ignorance here but at does UTC stand for. I can't work out to purpose of it. Like the lof the watch though.

The pourpose on this watch is to display a secon time zone.

Coordinated universal time is abbreviated UTC. This was formerly known as Greenwich mean time (GMT). Greenwich mean time was based upon the time at the zero degree meridian that crossed through Greenwich, England. GMT became a world time and date standard because it was used by Britain's Royal Navy and merchant fleet during the nineteenth century. Today, UTC uses precise atomic clocks, shortwave time signals, and satellites to ensure that UTC remains a reliable, accurate standard for scientific and navigational purposes. Despite the improvements in accuracy, however, the same principles used in GMT have been carried over into UTC.

UTC uses a 24-hour system of time notation. "1:00 a.m." in UTC is expressed as 0100, pronounced "zero one hundred." Fifteen minutes after 0100 is expressed as 0115; thirty-eight minutes after 0100 is 0138 (usually pronounced "zero one thirty-eight"). The time one minute after 0159 is 0200. The time one minute after 1259 is 1300 (pronounced "thirteen hundred"). This continues until 2359. One minute later is 0000 ("zero hundred"), and the start of a new UTC day.