When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Avitt DLC'd Pam 001B Project Completed! (Lots of Pictures)

cc

I like yours better! ;) Great color... Great finish! Looks like a definite keeper to me!

BTW... Maybe it's the angle of the pic, or perhaps just my eyes- Your case looks like it may be the Pre-V case? Thicker case band and shorter lugs?

If so... VERY nice!

It is a standard rep case with the slightly longer and thinner lugs. i think its the bokeh and the angle of the picture. Well it is a definite keeper along with the others coming ;)

Looks awesome. I love that finish.

The Savage olive green looks more of a grey brown on my monitor but it looks awesome! Love it.

The Savage Strap is actually an Olive Green/Brown Strap. It is hands down the SOFTEST strap i've ever had in my hands.

Only the 195 was DLC.. all the others were PVD.

here is the right answer.

post-2837-1222192823_thumb.jpg

So the saga continues...

I have a feeling that, as DLC can be applied by Physical Vapor Deposition i.e. by PVD (reference), Officine Panerai may indifferently use either the term DLC or PVD to refer to DLC (not the opposite, though).

It's just us that [incorrectly] use the term PVD as a synonym for TiN, TiAlN, or AlTiN coating applied by Physical Vapor Deposition i.e. by PVD. In reality, DLC is just a sub-type of PVD coating (especially when applied by PVD rather than by PACVD -- that, on its hand, is a special kind of PVD).

That's why my initial question.

So the saga continues...

I have a feeling that, as DLC can be applied by Physical Vapor Deposition i.e. by PVD (reference), Officine Panerai may indifferently use either the term DLC or PVD to refer to DLC (not the opposite, though).

It's just us that [incorrectly] use the term PVD as a synonym for TiN, TiAlN, or AlTiN coating applied by Physical Vapor Deposition i.e. by PVD. In reality, DLC is just a sub-type of PVD coating (especially when applied by PVD rather than by PACVD -- that, on its hand, is a special kind of PVD).

That's why my initial question.

Right, M. PVD doesn't refer to the type of coating, but rather to the process for applying the coating. When you get AR through me, for example, it is also applied via PVD.

So, the terminology being used in the thread is a little misleading. All coated PAMs have undergone PVD application. Some probably used TiAlN, and some may well have used DLC. (I still don't believe TiN was really ever used, but that might just be me). In any event, though, I'd certainly not hesitate to send avitt my PAM 28 because the results he's achieving are phenomenal.