When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did Panerai did it on purpose or QC too loose?

jitai

Hi all,

I found some interesting gen pics and was confused by what I saw.

Was at a bookstore today and found this watch book with many nice gen pics.

2929687092_8d89fab737.jpg

When I flipped to my Officine Panerai, I was suprised to see a chrono pam (probably with 7753 movt) that came with the original ETA date font. I looked carefully again and yes it is really the thin and familiar ETA date font that is known to our eyes. See pic below

2928800035_3cdbd7df0c.jpg

Can you see the standard ETA date font? No? here's a closer look

2929662898_095682a834.jpg

Convinced? No? Well, this is not the first case I found.

Here's another...

I visited the website of a watchshop selling second hand watches. This watchshop is rather well known in my country. While checking through some nice gen PAM pics, I came across a sweet PAM29 but hold on a second, something is not right. And Yes, it was the date font again. Instead of the bold date font, it shows a thin standard ETA date font and beside the date font, the crown also looks a bit thin like what we expect from a standard PAM rep. Here you go boy...

2928807195_5a43cec078.jpg

The above pic showed a 100% gen PAM29 and why do I say that? Well, the bold and white font on the dial, correct GMT hand length, correct hour markers spacing, correct white superluminova lume colour.

I am confused now. Did OP did it on purpose or some QC is on the loose? :blink:

If it is really the case then it will be a good news for those who own a 7753 movt daylight or PAM29.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the manufacturers will modify their photos that they distribute to media in order to throw off the replica makers. I have seen it on several manufacturers websites where their watches have details off when compaired to a gen that I was holding in my hand.

The Chrono is know as the "Daylight Promo" did not see the daylight and was replaced by the 162 instead.

to quote Risti

The PAM 162 was the first 44mm chronograph, but was relatively short-lived, only lasting a year, being supplanted by the white and black dial Slytech chronographs instead. The two Slytechs were originally promoted as having "panda" dials , a la Newman Daytona , however just before shipping this decision was vetoed, and they ended up as plain black or plain white. Perhaps the panda configuration is being saved for future special edition?

daylightblackpromofi9.jpg

p9203181pc6.jpg

ST4