When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Calibre S?

damnfinecat

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered one from www.watchesprice.net before I joined this forum. They appear to be using the original pictures on their web page even though they state that they don't. I've had an e-mail with an EMS tracking number so it's on it's way. When it turns up I'll put some photos up for you to compare. I'm not experienced enough to write a review yet, so I'll just keep to my opinion of it as a newbie.

I've looked at a few places and haven't found a calibre S link or aquaracer, has anyone found one?

There's a cheapie rep of the Link Cal S available, but nothing high-end. If the cheapie takes your fancy, I know Lawrence (www.houseofsouvenirs.com) carries it and I suspect other trusted dealers will have it too.

I ordered one from www.watchesprice.net before I joined this forum. They appear to be using the original pictures on their web page even though they state that they don't. I've had an e-mail with an EMS tracking number so it's on it's way. When it turns up I'll put some photos up for you to compare. I'm not experienced enough to write a review yet, so I'll just keep to my opinion of it as a newbie.

Ouch! Looks like you've paid well over the odds there, I'm afraid. $180 - $220 for the Link Cal S? It's only a 21J movement - normal rep price should be around $80 :-(

Ouch! Looks like you've paid well over the odds there, I'm afraid. $180 - $220 for the Link Cal S? It's only a 21J movement - normal rep price should be around $80 :-(

Yes, I know. But I did it before I found this site and also repgeeks. You live and learn and this has been an expensive lesson! At least I have something being sent to me. Better than getting nothing I 'spose.

I hope to be going over to the U.S next year for a holiday and want to pick up the Gen. version of this when I'm over there (providing the price is right of course)

My next rep. buy will prob. be a good quality Rolex Sub and I also fancy the all black version of the Tag Golf watch. Both will be bought from trusted dealers from RWG now that I know about them!!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to an authorized dealer and looked at it in person. the Calibre S is a very complicate movement that cannot be reproduced, its an electrical movement that is battery powered. As well when the battery is low, the electronics cause it to move in 5 sec increments rather than 1sec increments. Yes, the watch ticks, not sweeps. I guess that there will not be a rep for this one.

I went to an authorized dealer and looked at it in person. the Calibre S is a very complicate movement that cannot be reproduced, its an electrical movement that is battery powered. As well when the battery is low, the electronics cause it to move in 5 sec increments rather than 1sec increments. Yes, the watch ticks, not sweeps. I guess that there will not be a rep for this one.

Firstlt, it's actually not all that complicated (or expensive) a movement really, just had some reliability problems that caused its release (originally in Aquaracer Regatta clothes) to be pulled at the last minute and delayed for a further year.

Secondly, it's actually an electro-mechanical movement, I posted a 'mystery' pic of back last year in some quiz thing or other - it even foxed The Zigmeister - lots of gears surrounded by quartz copper coils, weird-looking thing.

Oh and finally, that low battery indicator you saw (it's a 4-sec jump not 5) is actually characteristic of all ETA quartz movements, neither specific to TAG Heuer or the Calibre S in particular.

If you want a c.S watch, then don't waste your time with shitty reps, just buy a gen. Some good deals around. Aquaracer version is still a little weedy in its 41mm case, the Link is still a little too bland, but the new SLR version looks interesting.