When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a DIY project?

DiamondRich

Ok - I am a noob here, but I was a member about 5 years ago. I got a few really nice reps - which have long since died.

Now, I have an LV sub I got about 5 years ago the last time I was a member of this forum.. as soon as I got it, it wasn't running correctly - I'm not sure who I got it from - but it was someone who was a dealer on here. I only paid about 150 for it, so I never bothered contacting the dealer to resolve the issue - just kinda chalked it up to experience, and the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality. Anywho -

I have a gen rolex airking that is getting beat up, so I would like to start wearing the LV just as an everyday watch. The problem is that the second hand keeps getting stuck in the same place. Last week it was around between the 7 and 8 marker, and last night it was just before the 12 marker. (I'm assuming this means that the second hand isn't getting caught on the dial). When I give it a good whack, it starts again, but then stops in the same spot. It's completely wound, so I know that is not the issue.

I'm not sure if I should try to get inside and see what is going on. I know this may be a little tough, but can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? I went through the forum with the search function, and read all Edge's guides. I got a lot of good information, but I didn't find anything like my problem. I really don't want to take it to a watchmaker if I can do it myself. I also don't want to pay 75 bucks to a watchmaker, when I can get another beater from Trusty for about a hundred bucks brand new.

Ok wise and learned sages of the forum - how about a little guidence or some suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the great advice!

If it's stuck in the same place...or a consistent location...it could be the hands are bent...check that. Or...it could be a certain wheel or cog is out of whack. If it's an ETA movement, a servicing and repair at a local watchsmith should be able to repair it...or, if it's an asian movement...depending on the existing movement size, you might be able to get away with doing a movement swap yourself if you've got the tools and the know how...given the movements for a DG2813 would be about $15, and a high beat DG4813 would be about $35.

BTW...like most on their first attempt at work...expect to botch it...but have fun learning. You might pooch a hand, scratch a datewheel, lose a screw, lose a mystery part, etc...but hey...the watch wasn't working properly anyways.