When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Questionable Movement in My Fiddy...

anton

Recently I received a Fiddy (PAM127) in a trade with an upstanding member in RWI. Although I am overly satisfied with the trade, I don't think I might be satisfied with the watch. Before I put it up in the trade section, I would to confirm what kind of movement is in it.

Usually I can easily identify the difference between A6497 and ETA 6497, but I just want to confirm something here.

Instead of the model number under the balance wheel, i have:

"B99501", "V8ZE1", and the ETA logo.

The bridges are engraved "PANERAI" all over them, but it's the "rough finishing" version.

Lastly, it has Incabloc and a flared balance wheel.

I'm leaning towards A6497, but the mainplate confuses me.

Can the experts please assist me in identifying?

I've seen that very one, on pictures though. It's 'hybrid' at the best. There is a dealer 'time4direct' on Dark Side selling them as "ETA Based" claiming they swap everything in the factory with Asian made bits except for the base plate. The whole thing just reeks of the 'hybrid' 6497-1 from late '06, of which I was one of the protagonists. The Zigmeister wrote truckloads about them and lot of us added to the conversation...the mov't ended up being reffered to as 'swasian' or 'chiss', but for most of us it was just a 'hybrid'.

The latest iteration of this so called hybrid mov't is no exception, IMO. The similar ETA stamped base plate with missing 6497-1 stamp replaced by confusing numerals instead.

IMO, it's 100% Asian, but I'll leave the final conclusion to others.

cheers,

babola