When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cape Cod

Guest Dr.TuB

Polishing Cloth with solvents .. peotrolium by-products.. mineral spirits

they can take out light scratches.. and bring a high gloss to polished surfaces .. makes certain brushed surfaces brighter .. removes tarnish on silver..

ACE hardware stores.. online..

be careful not to get it on AR coating .. it will strip the AR.. wear gloves .. can cause bad rashes ... rinse area polished before wearing..

Serious comment coming.....

On rep and gen forums alike, people mention 90% of the time in their for sale ads "easily polished out w/ cape cod cloth". If it's so easy, then why not do it yourself and advertise as LNIB or 95%+, instead of the usual red flag 'light scratches'.

Just curious...this always bugs me.

Serious comment coming.....

On rep and gen forums alike, people mention 90% of the time in their for sale ads "easily polished out w/ cape cod cloth". If it's so easy, then why not do it yourself and advertise as LNIB or 95%+, instead of the usual red flag 'light scratches'.

Just curious...this always bugs me.

Perhaps they don't have cape cod cloths at hand?

Or they're just lazy buggers and can't be bothered ^_^

The difference between listing as scratched and LNIB is huge. One looks like it's been kept in a safety deposit box while the other looks like it's been worn playing sports and mowing the lawn.

I've been a browser/buyer/seller of rep/gen forums for a long time. The cleaner watches always demands a premium. If you know that a cape cod cloth can honestly make your watch look new...then you go and buy one before listing and sell at a 10+% premium to the other scratched up watches.

The 'bc they don't have one excuse' is what bugs me.

They should just type that they are willing to take a couple hundred hit bc they're too gd lazy to order a 5 dollar rag and spend 15 minutes before listing their watch. That or the scratches are serious enough that a cape cod cloth wouldn't actually bring it back to new.

I just ordered mine from the bay.

:)

The felt wheel and green rouge leaves too many little scratches in ss for my taste.

:(

Hopefully the cape cod will remedy this.

ps, did you try searching this?

There's a ton of info on this site if you just put cape cod in the thread title search.

:good:

Edited by cht