When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Off to help clean up after storm tomorrow.

trailboss

Brisbane, the state capital about an hour down the road got bits of it's self absalutly hamered by a storm last night. Whole suburbs look like a tornado hit. 230,000 folk had no power last night and 30,000 odd still don't. I;m takeing a crew from the brigade down with chain saws to give the State Emergency Service guys a hand. Yes, the camera is packed you lot of jackels!

Still I would rather been in the middle of that (I love my nice, safe, protected box canyon) than in So-Cal ATM. Those poor bastereds are in all kinds of crap. If it keeps up I'll see you in a cpl of weeks LOS 'cause I'm on the deployment list for the IMS team this time 'round. We usualy get a cpl days winddown time before they stick 80-100 wired FFs on a plane for 18hrs.

My sincere hope is that's it's all over and my brother fire fighters are all safe. Up to 1100 structures, 9000 hectares burnt out and 50.000 evac orders handed out. Damn, that's a big fire.

I think tomorrow could be a busey day. Unfortunately it's still raining as well. Five thousand fallen trees, chainsaws and rain . . . Home owners shouldn't be able to just go out and buy a chain saw.

Col.

Hey folks. Back from day one. What a mess! Worse I'v seen in Brisbane. Looks just like a smaller version of Inisfail after Larry was finished. Here's some pics. We wern't in the worst hit area to day but tomorrow may bring some more interesting shots.

NTH Brisbane SES (state emergency service, a volenteer org) HQ with the two Fire and Rescue USAR (urban search and rescue) trucks from 1 and 2 stations pulled up loading tarps ect.

PB180002.jpg

First job, doesn't look too bad execpt for the fact it's a new car and a tinny (small ally boat) holding the roof up.

PB180003.jpg

Not so great from the back.

PB180005.jpg

Getting there.

PB180006.jpg

Wonder where the roof went?

PB180011.jpg

Ah, there it is. Over the road and a hundred meters down the side street.

PB180010.jpg

Arana hills SES depo. Home for the next few days. If I'm not out in the field I'l be upstairs here helping run the IMT (Incedent Management Team). By 15.00 today there was a pile of about 150 pizza boxes under the stairs. Pizza, the most commenly eaten prepared food by counter disaster teams world wide.

You can eat pizza with one hand leaving the other free and greaseless. The lunch today was KFC. Bad move around paperwork. Every job order and sitrep issued for an hour after lunch was served had grease all over it.

PB180012.jpg

Every other building on this blokes place had a tree in it inc his house. This was the stables.

PB180018.jpg

"OK, this should be interesting. No damage, yet."

PB180020.jpg

Branch by branch.

PB180021.jpg

Right, back the truck up into next door (glad there not home to complain about the lawn, the new Bear Claws realy grip!) Out with a chain and . . .

PB180022.jpg

Awayyyy we go!

PB180023.jpg

If I get time I'll post some more tomorrow night.

Col.

Edited by trailboss

Awwww shucks. Looks just like any 'ole Summer's day in FLA. Mind the live wires Col. !

Still I would rather been in the middle of that (I love my nice, safe, protected box canyon) than in So-Cal ATM. Those poor bastereds are in all kinds of crap.

Yes. God does not like Liberals, hedonists, nor actors. It seems. :) After the twelfth wild fire, mud slide, Earth quake, and 2x, 100 mph desert winds for the year, only an atheist and/or a masochist would stick around to pay those taxes. Sometimes I think of 'AllergyDoc' as a pioneering missionary there. 'Physician heal thyself', GET OUT! :D

Yes. God does not like Liberals, hedonists, nor actors. It seems. :) After the twelfth wild fire, mud slide, Earth quake, and 2x, 100 mph desert winds for the year, only an atheist and/or a masochist would stick around to pay those taxes. Sometimes I think of 'AllergyDoc' as a pioneering missionary there. 'Physician heal thyself', GET OUT! :D

And to top it off, we have gay activists storming Mormon churches and temples, scaring little old ladies to death and IDing donors to Yes on Prop. and demanding they lose their job. Now Arnie wants a 10% sales tax. Yet, the leftist legislature can only think of one thing: "How can we spend more money?"

I'm thinking of Arizona or Washington. Love the Evergreen State. Alas, they're as or more liberal than Californians. Oregon's out of the question. Most Oregonians are incompetent nuts. How do I know this? The state won't let them pump their own gas, fer cryin' out loud!

Col: There are far too many trees in Australia. Cut them down and don't allow any to be planted. Your next big wind will be a breeze!

Edited by AllergyDoc