When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacing Balance Assembly on 7750

436NR

Hey Gang!

I'm about to do a heart transplant on my Datora after I killed the patient. I plan on removing the Balance from a new A7750 that I have coming in. I already removed the damaged one.

My question is: What do I need to know about in order to successfully accomplish this task? Are there any special tricks, pitfalls, concerns, important to do's that I need to know about? -OR- Should I skip this and take it to a Watchsmith?

I appreciate any help offered to get my watch working again.

Thanks!

Take it to a watchsmith, replacing the balance on any movement is an aquired skill, even more so on a 7750 that isn't completely disassembled.

RG

Alrighty then! That's what I will do. Thanks The Zigmeister!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I got an A7750 movement and took it to the Watch Maker and he swapped out the balance for the one that I killed. This is for my Breitling Datora rep. He swapped it out and it is running. BUT, it's running like a race horse on speed! It's running 15 min fast for every hour! He put it on the machine and the heart beat and rate is perfect.

Was this the wrong Balance wheel and spring? Do I have any options here? The Zigmeister?

Edited by 436NR

Hey guys!

I got an A7750 movement and took it to the Watch Maker and he swapped out the balance for the one that I killed. This is for my Breitling Datora rep. He swapped it out and it is running. BUT, it's running like a race horse on speed! It's running 15 min fast for every hour! He put it on the machine and the heart beat and rate is perfect.

Was this the wrong Balance wheel and spring? Do I have any options here? The Zigmeister?

That doesn't sound right.

Does the second hand visibly look like it's moving crazy relative a properly functioning one? It could also be a slipped hand that makes it seem like it's going fast. Get the watch wound up fully, and have it lay flat on a table for a few hours and see if it's running properly without hand movement. Try it over a period of 3 hours to see if the hour hand is moving fast relative to the minute hand relative to the second hand. If one is moving independently fast...it's likely hand slippage...if not...than something more major is likely at the root.

That doesn't sound right.

Does the second hand visibly look like it's moving crazy relative a properly functioning one? It could also be a slipped hand that makes it seem like it's going fast. Get the watch wound up fully, and have it lay flat on a table for a few hours and see if it's running properly without hand movement. Try it over a period of 3 hours to see if the hour hand is moving fast relative to the minute hand relative to the second hand. If one is moving independently fast...it's likely hand slippage...if not...than something more major is likely at the root.

The seconds hand at 9:00 is moving 15 secs/min faster than actual time.

My chrono isn't working either. I'm going to have to open it up and see what's going on beneath the first bridge.

The seconds hand at 9:00 is moving 15 secs/min faster than actual time.

My chrono isn't working either. I'm going to have to open it up and see what's going on beneath the first bridge.

That's way beyond me. It sounds like something wasn't done properly...or went FUBARD in the process of replacing the balance.

That's way beyond me. It sounds like something wasn't done properly...or went FUBARD in the process of replacing the balance.

I remember someone posting a reply to one of my posts that the Datora needed a slower movement and that I need to get a 7750 specifically for the Datora. Do you know anything about that?

I remember someone posting a reply to one of my posts that the Datora needed a slower movement and that I need to get a 7750 specifically for the Datora. Do you know anything about that?

Nope. Slower movement might be referring to slower beat if they were planning on upgrading to a Swiss 7750. You are best to start with a slow beat if doing that route as the hand sizes are the same. There is no 7750 that should be running like yours is now.

Very simple problem, staring us right in the face...

Your watchmaker installed a 28,800 BPH balance on a 21,600 BPH movement.

Simple problem and this should be readily apparent to any watchmaker, it's like an accountant not being able to add up two numbers...

21,600 BPH = 360 BP minute = 6 per second

28,800 BPH = 480 BP minuite = 8 per second

Delta is +120 BP minute, divide by 8 = 15 seconds.

I strongly suggest you find another watchmaker, if this problem escaped him, and your chrono isn't working either, stay away from this fellow...he hasn't a clue...

RG

Simple problem and this should be readily apparent to any watchmaker, it's like an accountant not being able to add up two numbers...

I strongly suggest you find another watchmaker, if this problem escaped him, and your chrono isn't working either, stay away from this fellow...he hasn't a clue...

RG

Go The Zigmeister Go!!! Score?

The Zigmeister - Too many to count

Other Guys - Too embarrassing to state

RG

Man! And this guy was only 2 blocks away!!!

So... I need to get another movement? A 21.6 and pull the balance from that one or can we make this one work some how?

Thanks, The Zigmeister!

From your description, I would say you need a 21.6K balance, so yes, you need a donor movement or balance assembly...

And a new knowledgeable watchmaker, bummer since he was so close.

If they can't figure out the basics, and break more than they fix, they are to be avoided at all costs, even if they live next door :)

RG

From your description, I would say you need a 21.6K balance, so yes, you need a donor movement or balance assembly...

If they can't figure out the basics, and break more than they fix, they are to be avoided at all costs, even if they live next door :)

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister! Not sure I should continue sinking $$ into this one. Its a shame, I really wanted to save this one!

Thanks again The Zigmeister!

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister! Not sure I should continue sinking $$ into this one. Its a shame, I really wanted to save this one!

You could put a WTB post asking if someone has a donor 7750 slow beat to buy. Is this with the date @ 6 or a standard 7750? If it's a standard 7750, you could also upgrade to a Swiss 7750...the hands should fit and it should be a relatively painless swap...or hang onto it until you find a watch you want to upgrade to Swiss, and swap out the old movement.

OR...you could get a regular A7750 and new hands...

You could put a WTB post asking if someone has a donor 7750 slow beat to buy. Is this with the date @ 6 or a standard 7750? If it's a standard 7750, you could also upgrade to a Swiss 7750...the hands should fit and it should be a relatively painless swap...or hang onto it until you find a watch you want to upgrade to Swiss, and swap out the old movement.

OR...you could get a regular A7750 and new hands...

No, its a Datora so it's a 7750 with heavy mods. It has the month and day at 12:00 and the date is printed around the dial and has a hand that points to the date. No way of swapping it out with another 7750. I think the gen uses a 7751 or 7752, i'm not sure of which one.

Thanks for your help as well, Toad!