When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 104 dial

mwee

Hi

Would like to ask for opinions on this. Would it be worth it to get a gen 104 dial? Now that there is ultimate version of the 104, I was wondering if replacing it with a gen dial is a good idea?

I am assuming there there would still be other mods to be concenred about like maybe the cyclops but is it worht it?

Mark

Couple of factors that you have to consider:

1) Cost. Is the cost of the dial reasonable? Is the cost of the entire project worthwhile? If the all inclusive build is encroaching on the cost of the gen equivalent, then the answer is pretty straightforward :)

2) How picky are you? Are you looking for all out perfection, or would you be satisfied with near perfection? Your threshold of accuracy may help determine cost.

3) Is this a watch you've been wanting for XX number of months/years? Or are you building simply because the opportunity has presented itself to buy the dial?

The positive aspect to building a watch is that you can build it up over time with overall cost being spread out. It is usually less painful to take this approach, and building is also much more satisfying (at least, it is for me).

However- If this is not a watch you are in love with, you may find yourself parting with it sooner than later. Or... It may be one that you come to appreciate after completing, thus finding a permanent home in your watch box.

Hi,

Thanks for all that. Not sure if this is going to be a keeper but I do like the 104. As for bing picky, I guess I am. Cost I believe is not too bad.

What I am more interested in knowing is that how does the gen dial helps in making it more gen-like? The reason I ask is ther is a date window and cyclops so even if I put in a gen dial, would it make it really nice rep?

In my opinion... The dial makes the watch. If you have a gen dial, you can't get any better than that. Add a nice cyclops (yes, there are a few forum members who have offered these in the past) and the right datewheel, and I think you'll have a nice build, especially if the 7750 is Swiss and you add a gen crown. Probably some other mods to do like CG work, etc. As you can see, it can really add up.

In my opinion... The dial makes the watch.

I agree 100%.

Once you have the dial it becomes a numbers game.

Ask yourself:

Are relumed hands good enough?

Is the crown guard an instant tell (of DSN's 104 it is)

How's the crown?

Is the date mag truly 1:1? (on the ultimate 104's it isn't) can I get it 1:1? (yes, you can)

Is the caseback accurate? Do I care if it isn't?

If you can get the watch to where you want it to be (damn near 1:1, IMO, if you're going to invest in a dial) for a price that is an acceptable fraction of buying a gen, then go for it.

My personal calculation is: If I can spend no more than 33% of the lowest cost of a used gen (about $3500 in the case of a 104) and make a watch so accurate, front and back, appearance and function, that only a WIS as anal as me could ever tell the difference, I'll buy a dial. For the record, I've had numerous chances to buy 104 dials for between $400 and $600 and have declined every one, even though I have Jimmy CG's and gen crowns.

Agreed. It is not a Franken until you have a genuine dial. ;)

The real question is how much the model talks to you ^_^

My rules to invest: it has to fit the formula Archie pointed out (no more than 30% price you can get a gen) and it has to be a model you would drop the coin on a gen if you could

Just remember the 104 is your ordinary run of the mill, garden variety auto Pam, nothing to write home about, really.

It's a nice watch, no doubts about it, but whether it's worth spending up to 1/3 of its second hand price or not is something you will ultimately have to decide and feel comfortable about. As Ubi mentioned above, one should really be in love with the model before deciding on spending a "little fortune" on gen parts for a franken.

Rep will always be a rep, franken a franken, both can be made very close to gen counterpart, but neither will ever be as good as gen (unless the franken is made up of 100% gen parts). So as long as you can live with this and enjoy the watch for what it is without comparing it with the gen, you'll be fine :)

cheers,

babola

Thanks guys for all the opinions. I have to agree that a gen dial will make a rep look even much better but really need to think. Honestly, I know it s not anything special! But somehow, I have always like this model. whether I like it enough to get a gen dial for it , yes I would but then my problem is that once I get that gen dial, it will be like what archibald says. The Date mag, CG and all that.

well, lets see how it goes and I will post pics if this is ever done!

Thanks

Mark