When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pls help me id this watch - VC Toledo RG... @ TT

hackR

I am looking at this watch...

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=657

And would welcome anyone who knows the detail history of whether this is a rep of a real VC watch, year, etc...there's a newer version "toledo" out there, but this one is supposed to be a "vintage" toledo...

Also would welcome comments on it...what do you think of it?...the movement, detail, etc?...I think it looks very classy for those formal occasions...and would mate perfectly with my VC 1755 Jubile...

Not to completely naive, but the spelling of "automatic" on the watch back casing is spelled "aotomatic"...that has to be a typo, right?!...

Thanks -- R

post-16947-1229636785_thumb.jpg

thank you...where can i get this kind of information...is there a guide or pictorial history "article" somewhere?...

any idea of the year this was current in?...

looking at this in rose gold...is the rust problem something that was on most of these watches...rose gold, ss, etc?...

a sincere thank you...it's always great to learn about these...i appreciate the help...

R

Vacheron-Constantin Toledo Classic 42100/000J-8711

A Part of the Les Historiques Collection

Quick thing - watch out for the apparent rust on the 6:00 marker... ugh.

13670.jpg

I am looking at this watch...

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=657

And would welcome anyone who knows the detail history of whether this is a rep of a real VC watch, year, etc...there's a newer version "toledo" out there, but this one is supposed to be a "vintage" toledo...

Also would welcome comments on it...what do you think of it?...the movement, detail, etc?...I think it looks very classy for those formal occasions...and would mate perfectly with my VC 1755 Jubile...

Not to completely naive, but the spelling of "automatic" on the watch back casing is spelled "aotomatic"...that has to be a typo, right?!...

Thanks -- R

I think that is impossible to copy a sophisticated classic VC , PP or Breguet because dials are very fine and luxury, the level of finiture is incredible ecc...

For a little price is not possible...

Another problem. The plating 5 micron of asian reps is very yellow and not realistic. For an accettable plating is necessary a 20 micron wrap, as the Cartier Must

Reps are good when they copy great and simple steel sport watches, they are bad when the gen is very sophysticated

An accettable (but NOT perfect !!) copy of a classic watch has a dangerous price and IMHO is stupid to buy it (see in the Phong site the Patek cronos for $ 14.000 !!!!!!)

This asian VC is visible as fake to 1000 metres of distance

Edited by dorgenss

ummmm...

1) i am wearing a VC 1755 Jubile and it's amazing detail...for less than $100 USD...

2) most of us do not socialize in a circle where anyone has the financial resources or the watch knowledge to know it's not real...

3) my "collection" has both sport, dressy, fun watches...to me - that's what this "hobby" is all about...

I think that is impossible to copy a sophisticated classic VC , PP or Breguet because dials are very fine and luxury, the level of finiture is incredible ecc...

For a little price is not possible...

Another problem. The plating 5 micron of asian reps is very yellow and not realistic. For an accettable plating is necessary a 20 micron wrap, as the Cartier Must

Reps are good when they copy great and simple steel sport watches, they are bad when the gen is very sophysticated

An accettable (but NOT perfect !!) copy of a classic watch has a dangerous price and IMHO is stupid to buy it (see in the Phong site the Patek cronos for $ 14.000 !!!!!!)

This asian VC is visible as fake to 1000 metres of distance

ummmm...

1) i am wearing a VC 1755 Jubile and it's amazing detail...for less than $100 USD...

2) most of us do not socialize in a circle where anyone has the financial resources or the watch knowledge to know it's not real...

3) my "collection" has both sport, dressy, fun watches...to me - that's what this "hobby" is all about...

My father wears the same 1755 and it boggles my mind why this watch is so unpopular around here. For $98 you get a REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD replica of the original watch, at least when it's facing upwards. Even he didn't like the watch and so I ended up with it... why the hate? I will never understand; I dare to say it is on par with many $400+ "super reps" but nobody listens.

That being said I think getting this Toledo would be a step down from what you already own. Notice the date-wheel is not quite done right for this watch. If you want to know about this model's age and price, I can tell you that it's just something you pick up if you know where to look on google. This is a limited production watch that costs about ~$13,000. The date of manufacture is, as far as I know, discontinued but modern - I couldn't find any accurate info but let's say 2003-2006.

If you want something more accurate I would go for the Toledo 1952. This majestic $27,000 piece of art is also replicated very accurately for the price, and is even rarer in the rep community than the 1755 because the mainstream dealers don't carry it. But at the same time it is also more well-known in gen circles, and has a less glaring flaw than the date complication on the model you chose. You can get one on order from Narikaa... I can guesstimate the price would be about 60 lbs and 6 lbs (UK money) shipping.

GENUINE:

VacheronConstantinToldeo1952.jpg

REPLICA:

47120.000g-9098.jpg

REPLICA:

1.jpg

Finally, if you don't mind not having running seconds, you could go for one of the most popular VC reps ever made... the Malte Perpetual Calendar Retrograde whose one small flaw is the lack of leap-year aperture... also available on the cheap from Narikaa or any mainstream dealer.

GENUINE:

m_47031.jpg

REPLICA:

1.jpg

If you still want some help about the model you chose I'm sure we can try and answer your questions but I think it's a bad decision, personally. This watch you chose is not worth $248. For less than that you could get two much MUCH better watches, the retrograde perpetual and Toledo 1952. The rust issue, look, it's hit or miss from the mainstream dealers because they drop ship. Narikaa will do a quality control before shipping so if you want to ensure a rust-free watch you should buy it from him.

You also talked about spelling mistakes a little. Considering the backside of a toledo looks like the following, I think a mis-spelling would be the absolute least of your worries:

959163b.jpg

Good luck!

Corgi ---

Thank you very much...very much...i really appreciate the information and moreover, i appreciate the advice/recommendations...

I really like the VC models...i actually was drawn to the Malte Retrograde first...but then i discovered the 1755 Jubile -- and decided on it...it is amazing and very good looking...very nice size, great detail...unique quality look...i do very much like the simple face of the Chrongraphe, too...very classy and clean...the Malte Retrograde has now taken a backseat to wanting the Chronograph...

You are right about the Toledo is was looking at...i have seen the Toledo 1952 many times and will heed your advice...I like this watch in gold...I am not sure if this watch was made in rose gold or just yellow gold (both in genunie and rep)...I am leaning toward a RG version, but am a little concerned that it would REALLY stand-out...and that YG would be more the norm...I welcome your comment/opinion on the preference of gold color...

I like the Chronographe and the Malte Retrograde in SS...The Toldeo 1952, to me, would like great in rose or yellow gold...

Lastly - not all these come with deployment leather bands - which i prefer...do you know where or if Narikaa can source them...

I have been in contact with Narikaa on a watch search...does he have a gallery?...i will email him as to pricing, etc...I assume you recommend him highly and that he gets good quality watches...

I have no idea how many factories produce the VC watches -- but i want a good quality versions...

Thanks for your help and let's stay connected...

R

Corgi --

re: Toledo 1952...does this watch have a "textured" dial -- it's tough to tell...your picture looks to be of a champagne colored dial with YG...is this a watch you own?...this watch also comes in white dial and YG...what are your thoughts on color combinations?...

others that have this watch and are reading this post, please comment, as well...

thanks...R

Corgi ---

Thank you very much...very much...i really appreciate the information and moreover, i appreciate the advice/recommendations...

I really like the VC models...i actually was drawn to the Malte Retrograde first...but then i discovered the 1755 Jubile -- and decided on it...it is amazing and very good looking...very nice size, great detail...unique quality look...i do very much like the simple face of the Chrongraphe, too...very classy and clean...the Malte Retrograde has now taken a backseat to wanting the Chronograph...

You are right about the Toledo is was looking at...i have seen the Toledo 1952 many times and will heed your advice...I like this watch in gold...I am not sure if this watch was made in rose gold or just yellow gold (both in genunie and rep)...I am leaning toward a RG version, but am a little concerned that it would REALLY stand-out...and that YG would be more the norm...I welcome your comment/opinion on the preference of gold color...

I like the Chronographe and the Malte Retrograde in SS...The Toldeo 1952, to me, would like great in rose or yellow gold...

Lastly - not all these come with deployment leather bands - which i prefer...do you know where or if Narikaa can source them...

I have been in contact with Narikaa on a watch search...does he have a gallery?...i will email him as to pricing, etc...I assume you recommend him highly and that he gets good quality watches...

I have no idea how many factories produce the VC watches -- but i want a good quality versions...

Thanks for your help and let's stay connected...

R

You're most welcome! I'll try and do my best to address these questions.... se below

Corgi --

re: Toledo 1952...does this watch have a "textured" dial -- it's tough to tell...your picture looks to be of a champagne colored dial with YG...is this a watch you own?...this watch also comes in white dial and YG...what are your thoughts on color combinations?...

others that have this watch and are reading this post, please comment, as well...

thanks...R

This took some effort but I managed a photo of the replica Toledo. I don't own this particular watch but now you've done it and made me tempted to get one too.

vacheronconstantinfullokt3.jpg

This photo is courtesy of one of the kindest and most respected people I have ever met, Miss Victoria. Bless you wherever you are.

It is only available in the color combination above, that is, rose gold and white face. Rose gold should be a stronger application given the copper involved, so more resilient in the long run.

Narikaa does have a gallery but it's not complete by any means. The way he works is that, very simply, you send him a photo of the watch you want (so in this case the one above) and he will, on one of his next trips to the replica land of china, pick one up for you. The entire process takes a few weeks but the good part is that he will inspect the watch personally before sending it to you.

I would personally recommend getting it on a buckle instead of a deployant. The reason is because I own a rep patek that came with a deployant and the gold has completely faded off one side and it is now a yucky shade of half grey have tarnished gold. I bet narikaa could source this for you but it's pretty rubbish quality in my opinion. Go for the standard buckle (like on your 1755) and you should be fine.

I hope I answered all your questions please remind me if I forgot some :-)

Corgi -- you have been very kind and helpful...i appreciate it...i am fond of these VCs...

your post has me looking at them all...i contacted Narikaa and am lined up with him...most of these three watches are available from other dealers - but i know the QC can be spotty...

the VC classic chrono is avail at watcheden and they have been good to me...my VC Jubile came from them and it's now my fav...they have the one advertised as "guilloche" for $198 delivered to US...not sure of the price and haven't shopped around much yet...

the VC Toledo pix you sent is great...thank you...do you know a source for this besides Narikaa...(i just want to check out pix and price)...

i am seriously considering trying to strike a hat-trick and buy all 3...adding in the Retrograd...

quick question on the Retrograd...are they all made by the same factory?...do you know?...this watch's caseback opens (i can't recall the name for this)...some dealers don't show it open...for example, watcheden has this one for less than $100usd and doesn't show it open...i will ask them, but like i said, sometimes this becomes a challenge...from the pix, it appears to have the "hinge" so it probably opens...

let me know your thoughts...and once again, my sincere thanks...

(quiet day here in snowy Syracuse,NY...received a foot of snow yesterday...wife/daughter are baking holiday cookies, my 2 boys are stirring somewhere...and i'm checking out VC's as i clean up my oldest son's laptop of virus/spyware/malware...what a life!)...

thanks...R

You're most welcome! I'll try and do my best to address these questions.... se below

This took some effort but I managed a photo of the replica Toledo. I don't own this particular watch but now you've done it and made me tempted to get one too.

vacheronconstantinfullokt3.jpg

This photo is courtesy of one of the kindest and most respected people I have ever met, Miss Victoria. Bless you wherever you are.

It is only available in the color combination above, that is, rose gold and white face. Rose gold should be a stronger application given the copper involved, so more resilient in the long run.

Narikaa does have a gallery but it's not complete by any means. The way he works is that, very simply, you send him a photo of the watch you want (so in this case the one above) and he will, on one of his next trips to the replica land of china, pick one up for you. The entire process takes a few weeks but the good part is that he will inspect the watch personally before sending it to you.

I would personally recommend getting it on a buckle instead of a deployant. The reason is because I own a rep patek that came with a deployant and the gold has completely faded off one side and it is now a yucky shade of half grey have tarnished gold. I bet narikaa could source this for you but it's pretty rubbish quality in my opinion. Go for the standard buckle (like on your 1755) and you should be fine.

I hope I answered all your questions please remind me if I forgot some :-)

Corgi - I found the link to Victoria's Toledo 1952 RG that you posted...very nice...and nice to see it on the wrist...it's a large watch...nice!...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=397205

as you say, this is a nice one...something formal and classy...not a daily wearer...

but i will tell you...i am surprised that the VC 1755 Jubilee in SS really can be both formal and casual...it wears well...the dial and the reflections from the markers, hands, etc really make this watch look one heckuvalot more expensive than it is...as you say, this has to be one of the quieter watches out there -- a great rep - great detail and great style...nice texture with the case and its bead, the dial, blue subdial hands, silver markers/main hands/geneve crest/etc...and with the dial being more silver than white, it shows but doesn't blind...

thanks...R

Corgi -- you have been very kind and helpful...i appreciate it...i am fond of these VCs...

your post has me looking at them all...i contacted Narikaa and am lined up with him...most of these three watches are available from other dealers - but i know the QC can be spotty...

the VC classic chrono is avail at watcheden and they have been good to me...my VC Jubile came from them and it's now my fav...they have the one advertised as "guilloche" for $198 delivered to US...not sure of the price and haven't shopped around much yet...

the VC Toledo pix you sent is great...thank you...do you know a source for this besides Narikaa...(i just want to check out pix and price)...

i am seriously considering trying to strike a hat-trick and buy all 3...adding in the Retrograd...

quick question on the Retrograd...are they all made by the same factory?...do you know?...this watch's caseback opens (i can't recall the name for this)...some dealers don't show it open...for example, watcheden has this one for less than $100usd and doesn't show it open...i will ask them, but like i said, sometimes this becomes a challenge...from the pix, it appears to have the "hinge" so it probably opens...

let me know your thoughts...and once again, my sincere thanks...

(quiet day here in snowy Syracuse,NY...received a foot of snow yesterday...wife/daughter are baking holiday cookies, my 2 boys are stirring somewhere...and i'm checking out VC's as i clean up my oldest son's laptop of virus/spyware/malware...what a life!)...

thanks...R

Ah you got some viruses on the computer... I was infected with a nasty thing called the "Smitfraud" trojan a while back and had to re-format my entire PC because of it. Maybe if I had you around you would have saved it!!

The opening caseback or "Officier" is likely going to be present on every retrograde model. I don't have a clue about how factories operate in China but I did make a post showing what the "factories" (using the term very loosely when it comes to these watches) look like here.

So I cannot tell you if they are all made by the same factory because in the rep world, factories are not how we understand them here. If I drive down to my city's bustling industrial complex I can find each building: one making mattresses, another making coca cola... it's all very organized here. Over there... not so much. More than likely I can bet that even if they are made by different groups of people, then all follow the same specifications. Again, the only way to ensure you get one with an officier caseback.. you guessed it... buy it from a dealer who does NOT drop ship.

I do not know a source for the '52 besides Narikaa. I tried all the usual suspects but none have it.

Much thanks....

Happy Holidays!...

I will keep you informed of my progress...

I haven't made my final list for Narikaa yet...i'm leaning toward the VC classic Chronographe white dial, tho...not sure, quite yet with the Toledo...i love the look, but am not sure how much i'd wear it...i am looking into a Lange 1 - as i like it's retro/classic styling...

ah...choices, choices............

R-

Ah you got some viruses on the computer... I was infected with a nasty thing called the "Smitfraud" trojan a while back and had to re-format my entire PC because of it. Maybe if I had you around you would have saved it!!

The opening caseback or "Officier" is likely going to be present on every retrograde model. I don't have a clue about how factories operate in China but I did make a post showing what the "factories" (using the term very loosely when it comes to these watches) look like here.

So I cannot tell you if they are all made by the same factory because in the rep world, factories are not how we understand them here. If I drive down to my city's bustling industrial complex I can find each building: one making mattresses, another making coca cola... it's all very organized here. Over there... not so much. More than likely I can bet that even if they are made by different groups of people, then all follow the same specifications. Again, the only way to ensure you get one with an officier caseback.. you guessed it... buy it from a dealer who does NOT drop ship.

I do not know a source for the '52 besides Narikaa. I tried all the usual suspects but none have it.

post-16947-1229822493_thumb.jpg