When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling the Experts - GMT II Ceramic questions

seadweller3

He Gents,

After a little "time off", I've once again been bitten by the bug and am looking for another Rollie. B)

This time, I have decided on a GMT II Ceramic. I know there has been so much about these... Version 1, Version 2, real ceramic, faux ceramic, incorrect hand stack, correct hand stack (major problems?), swiss ETA, asian ETA copy etc. I'm very confused! :o

I'd like to find the best watch that offers the following in this order:

1. GMT function WORKS as it should

2. Bezel is as "correct" as possible.

3. Timekeeping is very good.

Can you chaps offer me some suggestions and insight. Also, what questions should I ask a seller about his watch to insure I am getting a decent one?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. B)

Get either the ETA clone or gen ETA IHS version with full ceramic bezel. The GMT hand on this is independantly adjustable, thus it can be used as a GMT watch. However it does not operate like the gen movement or the rep CHS (correct handstack) version. However this version is particularly troublesome, with a high death rate <_<

Here is a wonderful guide by By-Tor on how to use the GMT function on a IHS watch:

Replica "faux" GMT movement FAQ & tutorial

Get either the ETA clone or gen ETA IHS version with full ceramic bezel. The GMT hand on this is independantly adjustable, thus it can be used as a GMT watch. However it does not operate like the gen movement or the rep CHS (correct handstack) version. However this version is particularly troublesome, with a high death rate <_<

Here is a wonderful guide by By-Tor on how to use the GMT function on a IHS watch:

Replica "faux" GMT movement FAQ & tutorial

Very helpful. Thanks Demon! ;)

For a GMT function which "works as it should" you really have to go back to the CHS version. Just as long as you either are not planning to use the function very often or are comfortable with the risk of failing.

That said I think CHS, plus a v2 bezel, plus (should the community find a resolution) an AR'd cyclops would be pretty special. Otherwise DemonSlayer's recommendation is quite good and far less costly.

FWIW I have a CHS which is worn often and has had zero movement issues... while few and far between they do exist.

Good luck with the purchase!

• 2 weeks later...