When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with mistake involving superglue, bezel insert, and locked up bezel!

sdb

Ok...I have a Rolex GMT-II Master two tone, and the bezel insert fell off. I just got a replacement one from Andrew. I cleaned up the area with brake cleaner on the bezel where the insert goes and the back of the bezel insert itself. I used superglue (what I had on hand). I put about 6 small drops in the bezel "indentation" and then placed the insert on top and it fit/adhered perfectly. I must have gotten some wither between the insert/bezel and the crystal as it if not wanting to turn!!! I don't see any "extra" glue anywhere visable, and am 99% sure I didn't get glue between the bezel and case. Luckily, it is "fixed" at the 12 at the bottom and the big upside down triangel at the top, which is where I always set it. I don't ever really turn it, other than to reset it, so its not a huge deal.

Any ideas on how to fix this easily?

Thanks

So funny that you mention that... I got an abused noobmariner that had the bezel glued in a similar manner. What I did was to take several small (less than 1cc) of nail polish remover (acetone) and placed a drop at the 12,3,6, and 9 between the bezel and the case. Wait about 30seconds to 1 minute and gently place what ever tool you use to raise the bezel at those spots. Work it gently around the face lifting only 1mm at a time. Too much and you will bend the bezel. If it takes some time, add the acetone one drop at a time as needed (evaporation) and repete the process. BTW this technique also works nicely with Gorilla Glue. Take your time, and once it is off, clean the bezel and bezel insert and try again.

Good luck!

-K

One other thing, even though you didnt get any glue that your aware of between the case and the bezel, the acetone will track to where the glue is. ALSO do NOT try this on any watch that doesnt have a mineral glass or saphire crystal... Older vintage healite (sp?) crystals will turn a lovely milky white. Then you get to replace that too... :)

Big mistake to use super glue, because the insert is made of aluminium and on high to low temperature the material "works", the super glue is too perish and you can loose the insert - you need a flexible and water resistand glue! I use for such things Pattex Extreme... ;)

BTW: You can also use 99% alcohol to get the super glue soft - it works fine, too.

how interesting is this!

I thought superglue was god, and once it I'd on there that's it.

for life.

interesting.... I superglued the black aluminum onto my bezel, it's perfect (for now)

Super glue ain't that super. The cheap ones in particular. "Propper" ACCs like Hot Stuff or Zap do much beter but still ain't right for this job. ACC glues (super glue) are quite fragile and bond best on a totaly ridgid surface which, for the purpose of this exercise your bezel isn't. Special primers can be bought to enhance the bonding power of ACC glues and should be used for any serious bonding.

For this I would use Sikaflex 221 after roughening the serfaces to bit to give some bite. After applying the primer (not necessory but it helps) just the meerest smear will do. A thin, uniform coating is what your after. Just enough to form a continues layer between the two surfaces.

Failing that the afore mentioned Gorilla Grip will do at a pinch. Wonderfull stuff, wish you could buy it here.

Col.