When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

info needed from seamaster chrono owners

magnus

Yes it is a common problem. It has something to do with the thread pitch and depth. The fix uses a gen tube and crown but the gen tube fits a bit loose in the case which means you can either glue it in (what The Zigmeister did for me) or drill THROUGH the original tube to turn it into a sort of "shim" and fix the new tube INTO the old tube.

You can get links to this problem in my SMP review linked in my signature.

Mine got stipped, now it has GEN crown and tube, but the crystal is at Jakub... but the crown is smooth as butter!!!

Same. I was careful with the crown winding too doing the counter-clockwise turn with pressure until the threads engaged before screwing it in...but still the problem appeared. Now it's great. I just have to be careful not to over tighten the crown as the tube is glued with epoxy and overtightening will rip it out of the case.

I have just sent my SMP Chrono (old version) to my friendly watchmaker to sort out. The same thing happened to mine, it doesn't seem to matter how carefully you screw the crown in, eventually the thread strips !! I think it's made of butter !! :angry2:

Just out of curiosity, do the new SMP Chronos have the same problem? (or is it still too early to know?).

• 2 weeks later...